April 18, 200521 yr comment_46034 well its come back in a big way photo period is down already and algae fix and water changes are not helping (no i dont have carbon in the filter at the moment ) any cure's or ideas people??? Report
April 18, 200521 yr comment_46044 Not sure if its a good idea or if it works but I had a green water problem for a few months after setting up a tank, I was using rain water to do water changes, tried all sorts, then ran out of rain water one day so used tap water (without aging etc) and it cleared up. I guess it was the chlorine, it didn't seem to hurt the fish cause I dont think there was enough chlorine, plus I still use about 50% of my water change straight tap water. Report
April 18, 200521 yr comment_46046 Plant lotsa plants and load ya tank with daphnia I do hope you are talking about a freshwater tank. If not, please ignore the above. Alan 104 Report
April 18, 200521 yr comment_46067 where does one get their hands on daphnia? (and..... :oops: what is it?) Report
April 18, 200521 yr comment_46070 Try filter wool over the pump intake. Worked great for me even after 90% water changes every day, no light etc. Report
April 18, 200521 yr comment_46078 It's a lovely smelling small shrub, although I think it is a bit frost tnder tho. Definately doesn't like wet feet. Oh ! Daphnia. Silly me, I thought you said daphne OK go to your nearest farm ask permission and go have a look in the troughs, water patches that have water in them for a month or more. Out-side excitement. Small things excite small minds, although you will see what I mean when you find a seething water mass. Alan 104 Report
April 18, 200521 yr comment_46103 Mossie larvae are the small black things that move in a jerking motion. Daphnia are rounder and brown or green (depending on what they have been feeding on) and swim steadily. Report
April 18, 200521 yr comment_46189 I Had green water when I first set-up my tank.. i tried everything... including starving the tank of light for a few days to deprive the alage... nothing really worked it just settled itself after awhile.. However Daphina from Caryl helped a lot, but it was only a temporary thing whist they where in the tank. Plants helped a lot too... In my opnion green water is often part of 'cycling' a tank. After awhile you get the bacterica to consume the nitrates that algae live off. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.