ID on sick Uaru

REEVESTA

Hi everyone.

5xPY49I.jpg

WFuyzGn.jpg

Sorry for poor pic quality, hoplos are ruthless photo-bombers..

Not to sure on what this is exactly, came up a couple of days ago on all three of my juvenile Uaru. First thing i did was a 50% water change and that cleared up on the two smaller ones but the biggest seemed to have it the worst and is still in the same condition.

My first thought was white spot because he his covered in white lumps, however in some places these seem to be patches as well. As far as i know white spot is a small parasite and consists of smaller white spots, not lumps and patches? I'm guessing it is some sort of fungus?

The tank is bare bottom and has 6 small hoplo catfish, 3 juvi Uaru, and two small plecs (L001). I purchased the plecs 3 days prior to this and added a large piece of drift wood on the same day.

Any help would be great.

Hey there,

Its always really difficult to id sickness from afar. Looking purely at the photos my spidey sense is picking up a bacterial infection either of small wounds from tank mates maybe or from travel. The cotton wool like tufts are a good indicator. Its hard to determine the difference from fungal and bacterial. I would suggest increasing the temperature and oxygen. This will aid the metabolism and immune system. I dont think that it will go away on its own.

To treat bacterial infections you will need Furan2. If you cant get that I would suggest increasing the salinity of the tank to a level the fish can cope with. 3 - 4 salt dips a day will also knock the bugs back a bit. Google is your friend regarding the salt dips for concentrations. The moment the fish turns on its side, its time to return it to the aquarium.

You need to think back to before the tufts occurred. what caused the opportunity for the infection to take hold, an ammonia spike, cold water change etc. It might not seem obvious but there will be a root cause.

Good luck and feel free to email me if you have any issues.

Greg

My guess would be an opportunistic fungal infection following wounds from other fish or objects. May have a bacterial infection as well. I have never kept uaru so am not sure if they are sensitive to any treatment. I would treat with an antibiotic and an antifungal but not sure which ones. Mrs Google may be able to help.

Closer pics really would be necessary but personally I'd lean towards bacterial - especially if it's shown up quickly.

Unfortunately ABs can be hard to get ahold of now, however Furan 2 may be your best bet. Again - it's hard to tell without closer pictures.