Do not Take fish on planes

Wok

Right... this is for all those that would like to take fish with them on Planes

DON'T

previously i have taken fish on planes as carry on luggage and just passed the bag to security so it doesn't get scanned and they give it back..... simple, no problems.

However this time security gave it to Air NZ personnel to see if it was ok.... they said NO. they even rang someone higher up and they said NO

So end of story, poor fish was flushed. &c:ry

What airport was this at Paul? Wellington end or the other end?

I ask as I've gone through this debate with them and they normally say it has to go through freight... and when you talk to freight they only have options for mammals... cats dogs rabbits birds bit no fish....

Angry for you!!!!

I remember flying with an ice cream container with 2 axolotls in it. The air hostess (as they were called in those days) was most interested but kept her distance.

My sister flew Blenheim - Wgtn - Hamilton with 3 large cooler bags of fish for me.

Stupid rules now :an!gry

I took my 8 year old gold fish on my carry from auckland to Wellington in a fish bag in a plastic container the bag actually burst thank goodness for the container always have a back up I also take freshwater shrimp crabs limpets etc from Auckland to Wellington most holidays on my carry on with no problems which airline was it

I flew air nz

I didn't want it to go through x-ray so have it to security, who then checked with air nz boarding staff, who said no, and confirmed it with someone else by phone

I was so gutted

• 3 weeks later...
I took my 8 year old gold fish on my carry from auckland to Wellington in a fish bag in a plastic container the bag actually burst thank goodness for the container always have a back up I also take freshwater shrimp crabs limpets etc from Auckland to Wellington most holidays on my carry on with no problems which airline was it

How recent was this? Was this Jetstar? Did you put the container/bag through the xray machine?

Sorry too many questions.

• 5 months later...

Unfortunately members of this forum and others have contacted the airlines and have been told officially that they can't fish on planes - the answers seem to change based on who you talk to, but when asked for a response in writing they said that they would not allow it. As security is tightened over time, they seem to be less lenient - not worth the risk when the fish might end up being destroyed :(