Lighting to grow algae and enhance Mbunas

Zalawala

Hi guys, it's time to get new lights. Currently I have 1 blue 20w and one white one 20w, unsure what k rating it is as the writing on the bulb is not there, the white bulb is quite dull, I am assuming the previous owner didn't change them for a while.

So...any ideas on which combo of kelvin ratings to go for to get the right algae to grow for my fish to graze on but will also enhance the fish colours? Have blue, yellow, brown/purple coloured fishes

Yup know that, I do have higher nitrates, though within the acceptable range for safety of fish.

I have read that some people have put plant fert/feed in if the excess nutrients aren't quite up to play. But just looking at lights now as I want to get the order in

I've found a little red helps a lot on my yellows and rusties. The rusties males in particular look great under it.

At the moment, I've got le cheapo stuck on LED strips, and the mixed options work well.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renov ... 349984.htm

I'm thinking of upgrade to the Current Satellite+ LEDs as my tank is quite deep and the cheapos aren't strong enough.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-suppli ... -inch.html

I'm not sure about growing algae on purpose, but it seems to grow well for me, they're always having a good nibble.

Bad quality lights :lol: Excess of blues, 10/12+ hours. High phosphates and perhaps even dosing trace elements/micro nutrients for plants. I find when I overdose Iron I get an excess of string algae (tangles in a mess, doesn't connect to anything) but being grazers I don't know whether the cichlids would eat that.

Bad quality lights :lol: Excess of blues, 10/12+ hours. High phosphates and perhaps even dosing trace elements/micro nutrients for plants. I find when I overdose Iron I get an excess of string algae (tangles in a mess, doesn't connect to anything) but being grazers I don't know whether the cichlids would eat that.

Good info. I run our Sanrise lights with all channels on for 6 hours and the only the blue violet channels for an extra 6 hours. This encourages a lush green algae covering that your fish will love.

Just make sure you have a good algae scraper to keep the glass clean.