DISASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flymike

Got home from work last night to one tank full of dead fish.

:ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske: :ske:

The issue was the heater, A 300w weipro mx10-22, the relay was stuck on and the temp had climbed to 36 C.

I did manage to find 3 demasoni still moving, but my hopes aren't to high with them surviving.

So this is what was killed off

1x Stuartgranti Maleri Male (bright orange & irreplaceable in my eyes)

5x Auratus

5x Electric Blue (Sc. fryeri)

9x Demasoni (so far!) + three of the females were holding)

I'm a little disappointed it happened, as my plans were just coming together, and breeding had just started happening.

Just thought I'd share my pain

Yikes! Suck losing the whole lot.

How long do you think it would have taken for the temp to climb that high? How big was the tank? I know people often err on the side of too much capacity with their heaters, and rightly so to a certain extent, but I guess this is the downside. I'm not sure if my heaters would ever heat the tank that warm if they stuck on, if they did go that high it would probably take 10+ hours to get there from the current 27C max temp based on how quickly it warms up now.

Was a AR950, fish were only going to be in there for another 2 weeks max, were having to move in 2 weeks, and iv got a 500l tank to put all my fish in when we do.

200l, Wife said they were all happy when she left at 7.30, I got home at 4.30.

26C stranded temp, The controller runs a 300w SS element to heat, and iv got it mounted inline on the canister return.

Im wondering if the 36C it got up to was the max for the ellement, or whether the controller could only read up to that.

Either way, I'm gutted!!

Doesn't really matter any way.

I guess this is why you should always buy the best gear (and now iv learnt that lesson)

guess ill be shopping for some replacements after the move.

Sorry to hear about your loss. sucks!

I'm interested in how the Weipro mx1022 failed. You say the relay got stuck but the element is turned on and off by the controller right?

So did the controller fail or did the temperature probe? or?

When I unplugged the controller, the relay in the controller let go, I herd it click, as it was still heating when I found it, the display was reading 36.5C, I have shut the tank down now, and moved the surviving 3 dems in to another tank, thankfully they are still surviving, although my livingstonii was trying to eat one of them last night!

I have to admit I haven't turned the heater back on to see if the controller had reset its self to a higher temp or something like that, will have a look at that tonight.

I run a similar set up on another tank, using a STC-1000 temp controller and the weipro SS elements in the sump, setting it up this way costs about the same, and with some minor electrical skills to wire it up you end up with a controller you can calibrate, set when things turn on down to 0.1C and can also run a cooling (or similar) fan if it gets over your set temp.

I got the weipro unit because (I thought it was an easier to buy a unit as opposed to making one) I wanted to set up an in-line element in the return line for the canister, which works great by the way.

But the controller for what ever reason failed

:dunno: Always a shame when something like this happens :dunno:

Hope the dem's that you have left pull through ok.

Yeah, looks like the three dem's are OK. Fitting in nicely to there new home (for 2 weeks anyway, then I have to move them to our new place and there tank, hope I don't loose any more during that rigmarole)

• 1 month later...
I always like the idea (although I don't always practice it) of several smaller heaters rather than one large one. It gives me peace of mind that if one fails (on or off) the other should prevent disaster before I can save things. Lets just say I'm once bitten...

:iag:

Sorry about the fish.

Been lucky so far as very few heaters have failed. I tend to stay away from Chinese products. Most are sub standard.

Would you care to cite which particular "Chinese products" that you have records of problems with, and identify when they were purchased, and how many have not yet failed? While you're at that, would you also include the ""non-Chinese products""?

If you cannot, then you're not being very helpful.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would you care to cite which particular "Chinese products" that you have records of problems with, and identify when they were purchased, and how many have not yet failed? While you're at that, would you also include the ""non-Chinese products""?

If you cannot, then you're not being very helpful.

Nothing unhelpful about that post - if you want quality pay for a rena / fluval / eheim.