2000L tank, nearly one year on.

David R

Just did a water change, I did a big water change out of the sump and refilled about 250L out of the tap dropping the temp in the sump to about 16C, I refilled the tank out of the barrel, but when I switched on the sump there was a big influx of cold water. Next thing I know there's TEN sterbais out schooling and hooning around the tank. Guess they've been hiding all this time.

:D

The six little uaru are doing well in quarantine, fins mostly healed up and starting to get a little less shy. Can't wait to release them into the big tank!

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Pterophyllum scalare 'Peru Altum'. I'd love to get another dozen or so of these.

Going back to my original post, close to two years ago, and thanks to Hovmoller I just acquired not twelve but TWENTY young "Peru Altums"!! I made a video, it's pretty crap but you get the idea, I'll try get a better quality one once they're all settled in.

https://youtu.be/7AykB3WHRdc

And I took a couple of pictures too. The largest royal (ex Henward) is just over a foot long now, mouth is over an inch in diameter and he (??) has some serious whiskers going on! The other fish are all doing ok, the Baryancistrus are growing slowly but steadily, the lemon tetras are looking great but could do with a boost in numbers. Filtration is still working well, although now that the Panaques are all 25cm+ the sawdust production seems to have really dropped off, to the point where the settling chamber in the sump is basically redundant.

The only thing I'm not happy about is having it hidden away downstairs, I want it in my livingroom!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

4.jpg

Nice mix of south american cichlids. How big are those Uarus?

Not huge, h growing slower than I expected buti probably could/should feed them more. I sometimes wonder if the rapid growth we see in cichlid like Oscars or uaru isn't unnatural and/or unhealthy. I don't often feed then greens because it's aa hassle when they get stuck to the overflow comb, I tried them on kale recently and they looked at it like they didn't know what it was!

• 10 months later...