2000L tank, nearly one year on.

David R

Ron, I was thinking about it, but it would be a real hassle to get them out of the tank and set up another specific breeding tank (which I don't have) and then I'm not set up for raising the fry either. There are a few others around with them, hopefully someone else will...

Ron, I was thinking about it, but it would be a real hassle to get them out of the tank and set up another specific breeding tank (which I don't have) and then I'm not set up for raising the fry either. There are a few others around with them, hopefully someone else will...

Yeah it's a bit of work but would be nice if someone breeds them.

Yeah I'm just not sold on their colour, they kinda blend in with everything else a bit much. Would love cardinals, but the geos will almost certainly snack on them, so I think the colour of the columbians will be the next best thing. I'll get 20 or so of them and see how they look before committing to a massive school of anything.

That tank is awesome and I think part of the awesomeness (omg did I say that word) is the simplicity of the layout. One day I will come and see it :)

I have two angelfish - the same markings as yours and they are slowly growing. They are beautiful and more impressive that the bigger black ones I got at the same time. You could have left me more you know!

Ha, I wish I'd bought more of the striped ones now! Flick me a PM if ever you're coming up this way, I'm always happy to show people the tank and talk fish. I like the simplicity of the open space too, though I do intend on making the "snag" on the left bigger when I get around to going for a driftwood collecting mission down the west coast or Ohope. The few rocks on the left are trials, a couple from an old unused quarry beside the railway line in the middle of nowhere south of Wellsford, and the others out of the local creek. I quite like the creek ones and will go hunting for more once the weather warms up a little. I'd like to end up with a Rio Xingu ish looking environment [pics below] which will be well suited to the Gold Nuggets, and will help me pretend that my L190 are actually Xingu L27s.. :lol:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ima ... ge_id=9459

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ima ... e_id=16465

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ima ... e_id=16374

http://www.planetcatfish.com/common/ima ... ge_id=5820

The two big ones are Pterophyllum scalare 'Peru Altum' (F2-3 from wild caught stock imported by Phil Collis), and the smaller ones are just "regular" striped angels from Ron at Pupuke. I really hope there is someone out there breeding the Peru Altums, they're as nice a wild type angels as I've ever seen here. My two have laid eggs that look fertile, so maybe some day I'll pull them out of the tank and have a crack at breeding them...

Yeah I'm just not sold on their colour, they kinda blend in with everything else a bit much. Would love cardinals, but the geos will almost certainly snack on them, so I think the colour of the columbians will be the next best thing. I'll get 20 or so of them and see how they look before committing to a massive school of anything.

I was also a bit meh on mine, but as they matured they contrasted really well against my plants, which you obviously do not have.

• 7 months later...

So Facebook tells me it has nearly been two years since I started this tank, and not much has changed at all since last time. I did get a group of Columbian tetras, but find them pretty inactive and not as colourful as I expected. They don't really school well either. Will probably get more lemon tetras at some stage. I'm down to two of the large geos, and have picked up nine smaller ones from Hovmoller to replace them. Thought I might have been down to one big one last weekend when this happened...

Geo1_zpsdwwafrph.jpg

Geo2_zps6ok2kopq.jpg

I'd noticed a dead sterbai cory earlier, but it was way over the back behind the branchy wood and I couldn't be bothered trying to fish it out. The large geo obviously thought he'd be able to swallow it, but it looks like the stiff pectoral fins got stuck. With the body of the fish taking up about 3/4 of the opening he was breathing pretty heavily, and with his mouth extended like that I knew there was no way he'd be able to spit it out. After an hour of chasing with nets and a long piece of pvc pipe Hannah and I finally managed to net him and remove the sterbai. That'll teach me for being lazy...

What's next? Pass. Still really want a group of Uaru, or some nice angels. Or both...

Not a big female, but an "average" sized one. They haven't fared particularly well, I've got about 3-4 stragglers left from the 20 I started with about a year ago. Haven't seen too many corpses so I'm guessing the plecs cleaned them up (or geos?!), bit of a shame as they looked awesome in there.

Wow that's quite a big loss. You reckon they die and then the plecs eat them? Would be interesting to know the reason they died.

Yeah not sure eh, there was plenty of food for them, temp between 26-27C so not too hot for sterbai, but gradually their numbers dwindled. I did get a good deal thru HFF as someone had just traded in a huge number of them that they had bred and been breeding from, I tried to stay away from the ones that were larger and obviously a bit old and tired, but I have no idea how old some of them may have been.