Adding Coral to a canister

flymike

Hi Guys,

I have AR980 which im now having huge issues with the ph, it has been a lot more stable in the past.

(I dont have any coral in this tanks landscaping, and would rather not add it if I can)

But now it seams to lower considerably over a week, getting down to 6.5-7 some times,

in the past i've added 1tsp Malawi buffer each week with my %50 water change, and this has kept it pretty stable at 7.5-8Ph.

Will adding coral to one tray in the CF1200 or a layer in the overhead filter help with stability?

or will I need to add larger amounts to the tank to help with this problem.

Just keen to see what others have done in similar cases

Thanks

Mike

Why have u stopped using the malawi buffer?

Haven't, just have to check and add 2 or so more times a week

an unstable pH can be an indicator of too high a bio load

Hadn't thought of that, I do add a cap of seachem stability and prime when I do water changes.

I am due to do a check on the canister.

Hah, funny this should pop up now, I'm in the middle of doing a water change and filter cleaning and decided to throw more coral in my filter. But mine's not africans. :)

I popped one of the canisters open and thought, "I could have sworn there was a lot more in there." Not much left.

What is the hardness of your tap water like? What is the pH starting off at before it goes down to 6.5?

I much prefer using coral and/or shell in the filter to relying on dosing with buffers on a weekly basis, easier to keep things stable and balanced.

i have aragonite substrate and coral in 2 canister filters and I buffer my water with bi carb and epsom in my tank and i still find my ph and kh drops a bit as it gets close to my wc day. If yours is dropping that much i am not sure if a bit of coral in a canister is gonna stop that. I am surprised it is dropping that much especislly as you are using a premade buffer which I would have thought would keep your kh rock solid.

That is fairly heavy stocking in a 3ft tank, but your nitates are ok. How long does it take for your ph to drop after a wc?

Im on tank water hear, ph is below my high range API test kit.

I have a Black grit substrate and am using large blue rocks (like roading chip) for my aquascaping

Being that I have to service the canister, I might get some coral or small bags of aragonite in to it, It may evan things out a little.

I dont mind adding buffer, I just dont like the massive fall in ph happening so quickly.

I have aragonite in my other larger tank (sump filtered) and don't have the same issue, but its only been going about a year.

Thanks Guys, Ill keep you posted on how I go.

Mike

plastic tanks or concrete? if plastic the ph could be very low to start with and now your not adding the buffer it is climbing like it was.

We got 5 tanks and there all concrete.

I cleaned up my filter on sunday,

added about 2 cups of small coral peices in a bag to the top tray,

will be interested to test this weekend and see if it made a difference over 7days

set the ph using buffer on Saturday at around 8,

Will be stoked if its only dropped to around 7 in the week

Will keep you posted

Mike

What have you got in the landscape that you don't want to add coral to?

Black grit with dark gray rock work, with a blue light, the fish (and anything with color) light up against the backdrop.

Looks nice.

Are you testing the hardness or TDS, or just the pH?

Havent got a kit to test hardness yet (need to though), just been using the seachem buffer as per instructions

Right,

Si I put coral in to one of the canister trays last weekend.

Set added buffer and stabilized it at a ph of 8, re tested last Monday, still around a ph of 8.

Tested the ph before I did a water change, had dropped to around ph7.2-7.5.

That's way more stable than it was.

After %50 water change, it took 2 tsp buffer to get it up and stable at around ph8 again.

Has definitely made a difference in regards to the stability of the ph over the first week.

Will get a kh test kit this week and check on that.

Thanks Guys

Mike