White gel like sludge on heater suction cups

morfin

Hi. I keep getting a white gel like sludge on my heater suction cups in my small tank. Anyone know what it is? Tanks is 10 days old, 18 neons in it, amm 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0-5, tank was seeded from fully cycled tank. 60litres.. It can't be that there is no water circulation as the filter outlet points straight at it across the back of the tank. Photo below [url=image_zpsf6506a0a.jpg

Hi, I have been getting this white sludge on the suction cups of one of my new heaters (an Aqua One 55w) too, but not on the other brand I have (can't remember brand name right now). Not sure if it is coincidence or not but 4 teenage guppies that were in that tank (with the Aqua One heater) died within a couple of days of installing it (was a fully cycled tank with good water parameters). I took the heater out, cleaned everything, and swapped the 2 heaters around. Have since lost 2 previously healthy adult male guppies in a different tank with the suspect heater installed, just about the time the white sludge showed up again. : :dunno:

What brand is the heater you have?

I'm planning on getting some replacement suction cups ( white/translucent silicone ones) in the next couple of days as I just don't trust these ones any longer.

Hi, I have been getting this white sludge on the suction cups of one of my new heaters (an Aqua One 55w) too, but not on the other brand I have (can't remember brand name right now). Not sure if it is coincidence or not but 4 teenage guppies that were in that tank (with the Aqua One heater) died within a couple of days of installing it (was a fully cycled tank with good water parameters). I took the heater out, cleaned everything, and swapped the 2 heaters around. Have since lost 2 previously healthy adult male guppies in a different tank with the suspect heater installed, just about the time the white sludge showed up again. : :dunno:

What brand is the heater you have?

I'm planning on getting some replacement suction cups ( white/translucent silicone ones) in the next couple of days as I just don't trust these ones any longer.

I presume you checked the tank temperature and it didn't fluctuate at all? (perhaps a faulty heater?)

I haven't had this on my Aqua One heater but ew, I'd be scraping it off daily :sick: (I love fish keeping but I hate some of the stuff that grows in tanks!)