Can you do water change without conditioner? I've run out...

samuel90

So I have just emptied a third of my 50gal tank, and tipped over my bottle of water conditioner in the process. Genius.

For african cichlids, can I just use the hose to fill it up? Or will the chlorine go straight through my filter and kill all the bacteria, not to mention burn my fishes??

Please let me know asap...

Depends on your water source. The reason you use conditioner is to remove chlorine. (that if left it will damage fish gills, and destroy your bio filter potentially killing them). It your water source doesn't have chlorine in it you don't need to use water conditioner. i.e. I am on a rain water tank and never use any water conditioner.

What conditioner you use a lot of it comes down to personal preference, but I believe that sachem prime is the best, and although it seems more expensive you use less of it so it lasts longer. I have heard other people agree with that to.

I hope that answers your questions.

I got tired of lugging buckets around, so I now do mine from the hose too. I live in TGA (don't have a rainwater tank) and sometimes forget conditioner & haven't had any issues, but I've probably just been lucky. Note that apparently if you're doing it from a hose you need to dose the whole tank. I use the API Stress Coat+ - used to have Aqua One conditioner before that. Haven't really noticed a difference in brands.

I only use conditioner if I do a large water change > 50%.

I did the maths on it once (using die off rates for I think it was sewage treatment bacteria) and the NZ allowable chlorine levels, and I think that at the max chlorine allowed a 25% water change would kill 25 - 50% of the bacteria in your filter. Under ideal conditions, lots of food and about 28 deg, the bacteria population should double in 24h in the filter. Also note that the population of bacteria is always running a just under starving point, that is there is more bacteria in there than what is needed.

Please note that all the above is not all based on the species of bacteria in your filter, optimum conditions and lots of fudge.