Behaviour differences in dif Corydoras species?

kiwi101

We're noticing that our Albino corys are much bolder and more curious than the Three line Corys that we got at the same time, we got 6 of each, all bred and raised by the same breeder/ in the same tank so there aren't any differences in those respects.

The Three lines are much more active at night as expected but the Albinos just never stop... lol

They are such fun little fish!

Yes the behaviour does differ among the species and more so among the dwarf species. Often it is dependent on the other fish in the tank ie if the fish are bold and out it tends to make the corydora feel more secure. Sometimes the more hiding places you have around the tank the more the fish feel they can hide and tend to come out more often knowing they can duck back under cover. Other times the cory will remain out of sight until you go away. I've kept both sterbai and peppered and the sterbai were much more often seen.

I found my little pygmy cories to be hugely dependent on the tanks scape.

Had a shuffle around a while ago and now I never see them (or my ottos)

This happened to me with pygmies, tried a couple of different scapes before switching to dwarf loaches.

I have 3 loxozonus cories who are not very sociable unless there is food out, but the peppers I had were almost always out and about.

• 2 weeks later...
The albinos are normally Coryodorus auratus (or used to be)

Albinos are normally Corydoras Aeneus (bronze) and sometimes Sterbai or Paleatus.

There are about 14 species of Aeneus that show different behaviour as well !!! I am keeping 4 species and the Albinos indeed are the most bold ones (and will grow a lot bigger than Trilineatus).

Keeping Pygmaeus and Habrosus as well. Almost never see the first, the second are always in front of the tank.

Most easy going ones are Paleatus (peppered) Keeping a herd of 8 that are begging for foo at the glass constantly and hoovering the tank afterwards for the smaller parts. Fish with an attitude hahahahaha.

But : No Cory, no Glory. The are all great !!!!

Cheers Aad