The coolest filter I've ever seen

David R

Thanks for steering the discussion back on track Mark!

I didn't think Alan's comments were off track at all, he was commenting about the filter media, and quantifying it with personal experience. Your comments are reading as though you didn't want to hear anything other than comments that agree with and clarify your own point of view.

All I wanted to hear was a discussion on the piece of equipment I posted which, to me at least, seemed like a fairly revolutionary concept for the aquarium hobby; a self-cleaning high flow 40-micron filter.

I don't care if other forms of filter catch finer particles or diseases, I know that already, I have one on my kitchen sink for drinking water. This filter will catch finer particles than the vast majority of aquarium filters, so comparing it to an almost-never-used method of filtration that is grossly overkill in it's level of filtration for the average hobbyist seemed like a strange angle to me.

I'm well aware that one of the usual downsides of fine mechanical filtration is the need for pre-filters/multiple stages, I know that all too well from my own experiences, and this filter does not need such things as it cleans itself as soon as it starts to clog. So why mention it?

And I'm not particularly interested in this technology not being new outside of the aquarium hobby, most "new" technology offered to consumers isn't really new at all, though I was interested to hear that Mark has experience using similar units adapted from waste water treatment system to aquarium use and hope he shares some information on his set up.

Sheesh all I was trying to do was share what I thought was a fairly clever and innovative product. The implications of this kind of filter go beyond the convenience of not having to clean it, the frequent removal of waste from the water column would have a positive effect on nitrate levels in a heavily stocked tank, improving water quality and reducing the need for large water changes. Perhaps that point was lost on those people who think leaving canisters full of crap for 3-6 months at a time is good practice?

:/

I think it's an excellent idea and I can definitely see how handy it would be, especially on a large aquarium. I for one would definitely consider it on a tank over 300g. The noise level wouldn't be an issue for as David said you could easily put it in a garage or shed etc.

Thanks for sharing dude.

I think the $2500 cost is "grossly overkill" for the average hobbyist. I do think it is a neat system, very cool indeed. Thanks for sharing David.

I have never had such dirty filters that needed so much maintenance so I would sooner put that cost towards a larger volume of water. I can see it's use in over stocked tanks, and tanks where food is "power fed" to try and increase stock size.

I think the $2500 cost is "grossly overkill" for the average hobbyist. I do think it is a neat system, very cool indeed.

You're not wrong there, it certainly is in the "expensive luxury" category! I would like to think that this kind of thing will get cheaper given time, maybe we need to send one to China for "cloning". ;)

I think part of the thing with the noise in the video is that it is only a temporary "demonstration" set up, just sitting on plywood on a workbench. If the pumps and the unit were mounted on foam inside a sealed cabinet I think it would be a lot quieter. Still not sure if it would be living-room quiet, but any big tank in a living area is usually either going to have noise issues or remote filtration.

I wonder if it is truly "no maintenance" though.

I can imagine bacterial film building up inside the drum to a point where it can't simply be backwashed and you would then at least have to wipe scrub the inside of the drum.

But yeah cool idea albeit overkill and expensive

The one micron filter (Mrs Google has pictures on "vortex diatom filter") is a physical filter also and is used for polishing. It is used in conjunction with a more standard biological filter or sump that takes care of the conversion of ammonia, nitrite and urea to nitrate. Is that the case with this one also?

Yes it is. The system i am trialling is as 'idiot proof' hopefully as i can make it, hence the self cleaning. Also including a Mrs Vortex as well for disease control, to be used if needed. Main filter is chinese origin with 2 mods i have made, prefilters are filter wool then felt socks.

It is a physical filter and will have little of the nitrogen cycling that happens in a biological filter I would suspect.

You're right it won't perform the nitrogen cycle, and you will obviously still need some sort of biological filter afterwards. But by continually removing physical waste from the water column (instead of leaving it to break down and continue to produce ammonia [then nitrites, then nitrates]) I believe it would have a positive effect on water parameters compared to almost every other mechanical aquarium filter.

Yes it is. The system i am trialling is as 'idiot proof' hopefully as i can make it, hence the self cleaning. Also including a Mrs Vortex as well for disease control, to be used if needed. Main filter is chinese origin with 2 mods i have made, prefilters are filter wool then felt socks.

Sounds very interesting, would love to see some pics or a write up on it if you can spare the time. If it is self-cleaning how come you're using prefilters that will require manual cleaning?

It does not save labour as you still have to maintain your biological filtration---would probably cut down on the amount of cleaning required.

It doesn't save labour, but it does cut down on the amount of cleaning required?

I know with my tank not having to regularly clean the mechanical aspect of the filtration would be a huge reduction in the amount of work required (which isn't actually all that much, but the less work is better in my world). If you don't do much cleaning then I wouldn't expect something like this to be of much interest to you.

Looks like a nice idea, but in the demonstration it seems to me that it uses a lot of water up as waste for the amount of dirt taken out. Maybe having to be careful because I am on tank water makes me a bit more sensitive to the amount used though.

I feel your pain, summer hasn't begun and we're down to half a tank! I think if you were running a continuous drip set up then this probably wouldn't add much to your water consumption (and would help keep your nitrates low in the process). Depending on how messy your fish are any how often the filter cleans itself weekly water changes would probably become a thing of the past.