Pothos: less nitrate, less water changes

David R

• 3 months later...

How's the peace lily doing and what method have you used to hold it up?

Doing ok, the spider plant goes mad, and needs another good trim. The Spider plant is in a plastic planter box that runs from the front of the tank to 3/4 of the way back, the lilly is in a clay pot above that with a drip feed off one of the powerheads to keep it watered

Sept 2014

DSCN1971.JPG

Today (forgive the glass)

DSC_0142.JPG

Doing ok, the spider plant goes mad, and needs another good trim. The Spider plant is in a plastic planter box that runs from the front of the tank to 3/4 of the way back, the lilly is in a clay pot above that with a drip feed off one of the powerheads to keep it watered

Sept 2014

DSCN1971.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

Thanks,I might try the spider plant.

Do you think I could just dangle the roots in the water like the pothos?

Sept 2014

DSCN1971.JPG

DSC_0142.JPG

Oooo is that a flamingo plant behind the spider plant? How well does it tend to do and how far is it submerged?

• 3 months later...

I have mine growing out a window and running wild along a tree outside. Must be 3m+ by now. This way it gets all the light it needs and I don't have to worry about it taking up space inside. Will be interesting to see how it copes with winter. I suspect it will do ok. Great plant!

I have a cutting in my troph tank its a decent size and had a lot of roots when i put it in the tank but over time the roots were munched by my trophs. I have since put the roots in a piece of fx5 tubing to see if they will come back. I'm struggling to keep my nitrates under control. I change about 60-70% every week with a good gravel vac, run 2 filters a fx5 and a cf1200. The tank is 350L and has about 40 fish max.

I do a wc every tues night and my nitrate readings were I would guess about 60ppm as it is so hard to tell between 40-80 on the colour card. I miss a feeding on weds and tested my water tonight (thurs) and they are around 20ppm already and i have only fed them twice since tues. I feed pretty light twice a day and enough food that it is all gone in about 40 secs per feed.

So i guess my question is that because of the lack of root system on my pothos plant could that be the reason I am not really seeing any benefit in nitrate reduction since I introduced it to the tank?

Good day Nige,

It could also be the lack of water flow over the roots. I dont know what the layout of the roots in the pipe is. The key to the plants doing well is plenty of light and an lots of oxygen around the roots.

We are fortunate to be able to place the root structure behind the HMF sections of our tanks. This is wicked as the fish cant get to it and the roots grow into the Poret foam and action the nitrates there.

In some of our tank we use a piece of foam around 150.100.50mm slice it down the middle. Lay the root structure within the foam and let the foam sit in the tank. Direction water flow on the Poret foam and your roots are protected and get the nutrients.

If you want to increase the Nitrate removal you could light the pothos. This photo shows an 105liter aquarium with around 100 tetras, and 5 adults breeding whiptails. Even with the heavy feedings, lots of fish and no water change since Feb. Nitrate sits around 5ppm. The Strawberry , Pothos and Spathiphyllum are devastatingly effective.

APA%20Small_zpsfvpjdxlr.png

So i guess my question is that because of the lack of root system on my pothos plant could that be the reason I am not really seeing any benefit in nitrate reduction since I introduced it to the tank?

I'd say that has something to do with it, the roots are what allows the plant to absorb nutrients from the water, so I'd guess a bigger root mass will increase/speed up nitrate absorption. What would be ideal is a sump, or some other separate chamber (maybe screen off a corner with some Poret foam?) where the plant can grow without being pruned by the trophs.

I think I need to increase the lighting for mine, they're growing slowly, but the nitrate is well under control...

Surely it's got to be removing some. How much is the question.

• - Weigh the plant material you remove when trimming.
    - To make it easier lets go with that the plants contain 80% water or have a dry matter (DM) of 20%.
    - Typical nitrogen content of plants in their DM is 2% to keep it simple.
    - How often do you cut your plants? Every four weeks?
    - How big is your tank? 100ltr?

Example:

• - Weight of the removed plant material = 100g (which is a lot but lets go with it because it's easy to calculate)
    - Equals 20g DM
    - Nitrogen is 20g DM / 100 * 2 = 0.4g or 400mg
    - 0.4g / 28 days = 0.014g or 14mg extraction per day
    - 14mg / 100ltr = 0.14mg removed per day and ltr (=1.4ppm)

So next time you cut your plants back, grab the digital kitchen scales and see how much growth you had = extracted nutrients 8)

Why do I love to have lots of duck weed (35% protein = 2.24% nitrogen in DM) in my fishroom?

• - Removal per week = 600g
    - DM is only 8% = 48g
    - 48g DM / 100 * 2.24 = 1.075g or 1075mg nitrogen
    - 1.075 / 7 days = Extraction of 0.153g or 153mg nitrogen per day
    - 153mg / 1200 ltr = 0.127mg per day and ltr (equals 1.27ppm)

Cheers,

JaSa