September 10, 201313 yr comment_538693 Hi, I am looking at buying a trio of Gold Panchax. Here are my questions: Could they go into a 54 litre tank? Are they good for killifish beginners? Could I breed them? Assuming I could breed them could I use a 13 litre fry tank? Any other info would help Report
September 10, 201313 yr comment_538730 Golden panchax are one of the easier killies to breed. I used to keep them in a bare tank with a floating mop, check for eggs daily and remove into a smaller hatching tank and feed on brineshrimp nuplii when free swimming. Your gardneri may be a bit aggressive for the golds and they will breed best if on their own. Report
September 10, 201313 yr Author comment_538757 Thanks again! What is the minimum tank size for gardneri ? Do they need a heater? Report
September 10, 201313 yr comment_538761 The tank size relates to your filtration and water changes, the better that is the smaller the tank you will get away with. They need early 20s deg C. Report
September 10, 201313 yr comment_538769 Blackworms (lumbriculus) are the best if you want to breed them. Any live food if you can't get them. Report
September 11, 201313 yr Author comment_538781 Thanks, how many fry can go into a 13 litre tank without getting stunted Report
September 11, 201313 yr Author comment_538783 alanmin4304 said: Golden panchax are one of the easier killies to breed. I used to keep them in a bare tank with a floating mop, check for eggs daily and remove into a smaller hatching tank and feed on brineshrimp nuplii when free swimming. Your gardneri may be a bit aggressive for the golds and they will breed best if on their own. Could you please tell me how to make a floating mop? Report
September 11, 201313 yr comment_538789 You make what looks like a small mop from synthetic wool and tie it to a cork or similar floaty thing. You will need a few tanks to grow the fry out as you need to keep them of similar size together 13 litres will be OK for a few babies but they will need bigger tanks as they grow. Report
September 11, 201313 yr comment_538792 :fshi: :fshi: :fshi: could you tell me how to make a floating mop a big woollen pom pom... Report
September 11, 201313 yr comment_538806 You Need; one book, video, or something of similar size. acrylic wool in a dark colour (easier to see the eggs) scissors Wrap the wool round and round the book (longwise or lengthwise depending on the depth of the tank) 30 or 40 times (the pics show the wool wrapped only 20 times). Tie one end Cut other end Tease out the wool strands by unravelling the separate plys to make them fluffier and bushy. I tie a small block of polystyrene to the thread I used to tie the top end with and this keeps the mop floating in the water. You can vary the depth at which it floats by altering the length of the wool. Note this is a different mop and the knot on the end was done slightly differently by sliding the wool off the book first then tying a knot a couple of centimeters from one end - the wool did not change colour! :gigl: When you first put the mop in the water you will need to squeeze it a bit and swish it around to waterlog the wool and make it sink properly, otherwise the strands will want to stay on the surface. Report
August 12, 20197 yr comment_573408 Did you ever get any killies, make a breeding mop, and breed any fish? Report
August 14, 20197 yr Author comment_573413 I bred Australe and Gardneri in 2017 in decent numbers for the latter Hopefully I will finally get Panchax today Report
December 16, 20196 yr Author comment_573657 Any smaller schooling fish i could keep with this guy? Tried pygmy cories but he was a bit aggressive. Report
January 5, 20206 yr comment_573695 I wouldnt add others I've always found my panchax to be agressive or out competed easily Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.