Dwarf Puffer 35L Tank Journal

blondfish

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Since Carine was having trouble locating DP breeders (have now heard they're not ordering anymore in) I got a betta.

This is my boy :)

DSCF1718_zps272f0a48.jpg

DSCF1670_zps39c617b6.jpg

DSCF1637_zps1d4124fe.jpg

FTS

DSCF1622_zpsb31e6df8.jpg

Tank looks crap, I know.

I suck at aquascaping, sorry.

He has settled in well, and I'm happy with him :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does he ever go into it?

Yes, he does :)

Doesn't normally when I'm in the room, but if I look from the doorway I often catch him swimming into it.

Came home today from a short trip away, and found the filter had shredded part of Zeus's (what I've named him) tail &c:ry

I'm out of dechlorinater ATM and won't be in town until Thursday (at the earliest), so I'm paranoid about him getting fin rot.

Are there any ways I can prevent it, apart from doing water changes?

Yep, its definitely cycled. All stats have been coming back good (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and about 5 nitrate).

I'm worried about putting the water out to gas off, as I read somewhere that the water company adds chloramine, which doesn't gas off :/

Will do the water change tomorrow.

The water company will not add chloramine as it is required to add chlorine which will then react with various things in the water and produce chloramines amongst other things. Sodium thiosulphate will get rid of chlorine and chloramines. It is the main ingredient in water tratments from your pet shop.

Carine had two in on Monday, I had presumed they'd found a new breeder/importer? Unfortunately they had a really bad import so they're probably trying to find better options (really sickly puffers, I lost two and they lost one that they were holding for me) - I'd be happy to bring some puffers back from Auckland for you if you want (the HFF ones are OK, I got one healthy one, but two skinny ones, one of which I lost and the other I still can't put weight back on him - but they often come with parasites so you'll want to perhaps buy antiparasite medication just in case).

Carine had two in on Monday, I had presumed they'd found a new breeder/importer? Unfortunately they had a really bad import so they're probably trying to find better options (really sickly puffers, I lost two and they lost one that they were holding for me) - I'd be happy to bring some puffers back from Auckland for you if you want (the HFF ones are OK, I got one healthy one, but two skinny ones, one of which I lost and the other I still can't put weight back on him - but they often come with parasites so you'll want to perhaps buy antiparasite medication just in case).

Thank you so much for your offer, I'll definitely get back to you once I have rehomed my danios, as that will give me an available tank :)

Chloramine is not allowed to be added to drinking water in NZ, but there is a natural reaction with the chlorine they use producing trace amounts of chloramines. but no where near the level that would harm your fish normally, or do in Tauranga at any rate.

Thank you!

Will put a bucket out now :)

yeah, have run into a few sickly puffers, seem to be intestinal parasites, a few do well though. lots of food and a bit of avitrol if absolutely necessary and they should be fine

Yeah, unfortunately I've done two rounds of the medication and still no luck - he's been here a few months, but still looks super skinny (especially in comparison to the fat one).

is it eating?, whats it eating?

a lot of people try feeding puffers on purely blood worm, especially the shops, they need at least white worms and snails to be kept really healthy, mozzie larvae and guppy fry are enjoyed too. if they are fed well enough and water quality is pristine they will beat any parasites on their own normally.

Mine was skinny initially too, but a pile of love made him healthy until the well deserved EX MISSUS dumped a bottle of detergent into my tanks, :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry

gave him a 5 min bath in avitrol on his way home from the shop. its a good time to treat fish that a lot of people miss, ask the store to do a quick worming while your taking them home many stores will be more than happy to help you.

easy enough to set up a white worm, black worm, maggot, guppy fry, snail culture, takes about 10 mins to do per week.

is it eating?, whats it eating?

a lot of people try feeding puffers on purely blood worm, especially the shops, they need at least white worms and snails to be kept really healthy, mozzie larvae and guppy fry are enjoyed too. if they are fed well enough and water quality is pristine they will beat any parasites on their own normally.

Mine was skinny initially too, but a pile of love made him healthy until the well deserved EX MISSUS dumped a bottle of detergent into my tanks, :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry :an!gry

gave him a 5 min bath in avitrol on his way home from the shop. its a good time to treat fish that a lot of people miss, ask the store to do a quick worming while your taking them home many stores will be more than happy to help you.

easy enough to set up a white worm, black worm, maggot, guppy fry, snail culture, takes about 10 mins to do per week.

Oh my goodness, did she do that on purpose? Glad she's an EX O_O

Yeah, they get fed white worms - they aren't so keen on bloodworms (they don't squirm lol)

What's the dosage for doing a bath?

Dr. Roy Yanong, V.M.D. recommends the following for treating fish with internal parasites susceptible to Levamisole HCl:

"In answer to your question, the dosage rate for levamisole in a bath is 2 mg/L (2 ppm) for 24 hours (followed by 70-100% water change, and siphon the bottoms of the tanks), with repeat treatments necessary--retreat in 2-3 weeks, and probably one more time after that. This is regardless of size of fish."

there you go

The water company will not add chloramine as it is required to add chlorine which will then react with various things in the water and produce chloramines amongst other things. Sodium thiosulphate will get rid of chlorine and chloramines. It is the main ingredient in water tratments from your pet shop.

Can you buy Sodium thiosulphate? If so will this be cheaper and as safe as buying over the counter water conditioner? Or is there more to it than just adding some of that?

there you go

Thanks, I'll have to try once I get home.

I know white worms aren't good as a staple diet, but not sure what to feed other then snails, white worms and blood worms. They won't eat anything prepared.

It's a shame I've had so little luck with them lol - puffers are definitely my favourite fish along with spiny eels.

Sorry, :smot:

Sorry, :smot:

Its fine :)

I'm learning a lot of things reading your comments.

Wow, sounds like a crazy ex O_o.

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry I have been so slack on my updates, been almost a month since the last one :o Time certainly flies.

Anyway, not much has happened, except for that Zeus (what I named him - can't remember if I mentioned that before) has started tailbiting again, which I thought I had resolved, along with that, he has developed a mild case of cloudy eye.

The plants are all growing well and I ordered some blue hygrophelia(?) off TM and ended up getting four bunches along with two ivory mystery snails which I also ordered. I have taken some pics but haven't uploaded them yet, as soon as I do I will post them :)

If you have any ideas for stopping the tailbiting then that would be most appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've started dosing with flourish twice a week and the plants have really taken off.

I had a go at aquascaping, not quite happy with it but I think its okay for a first go.....

Before:

Beforepic_zpsfbcf4b4a.jpg

After:

IMG_3620_zpsdc584af6.jpg

What do you think?

What do you like/dislike?

Anything you would change?

Any general tips would be greatly appreciated :)

P.S. :cr3: