A permit for Geckos?

DomDaw

You require a permit to keep native geckos and since you can't sell them they are "free." you do not requre a permit to keep leopard geckos so you pay for them. In either case the lizard is the cheap bit and proper caging and food can cost a lot so best to get breeding mealworms, crickets and locusts if you wish to get serious.

Oh I see, thanks for clearing that up! Where do people get native geckos once acquiring a permit?

and of course, I've done my research on keeping Leos. Not natives yet as I've only recently stumbled upon the idea.

I would of course do extensive research and have everything set up before looking for some. Just interested for general knowledge really.

Thanks

Of course it is! At the moment I have Axolotls and Fire Bellied Newts. Thinking of upgrading to Leos. I've been offered 600 for a breeding pair. Unfortunately just I don't have that kind of money at the moment. :cry1:

I've been breeding axolotls and it seems to be going well. have about 60 babies at the moment.

But yeah, I will do extensive research on various sites before I do anything. I hate seeing badly treated animals.

Just wondered if the society didn't agree with using mealworms and sneaky was being sarcastic? or ...

I no longer use them but don't see a problem with them.

I recall someone telling me not to use blowflies cause they lay eggs in lizards ears. Apparently some truth to that but only in regard to one species of fly and only an issue in certain circumstances and so on...

just out of curiosity, how big are they when you sell them ?

I sell them since they are pretty much born. People say that this should not be done as the babies are fragile, but I have had success with every sale. Normally I would recommend waiting a week or two though. As they grow the price goes up of course.

I sell them since they are pretty much born. People say that this should not be done as the babies are fragile, but I have had success with every sale. Normally I would recommend waiting a week or two though. As they grow the price goes up of course.

Interesting. do you know what happens with these Axolotl babies you sell, say how they develop 2 or 3 months after you sold them ?

Interesting. do you know what happens with these Axolotl babies you sell, say how they develop 2 or 3 months after you sold them ?

This is the first time I'm selling babies since birth. But normally, the people who buy baby axolotls are reasonably experienced aquatic pet owner. I give them all the information they need etc. Right now, I'm getting feedback from about 4 buyers who's babies are healthy and happy (: :thup:

I don't keep native geckos but I know a lady who has 8-10 varieties and hers will not eat mealworms. She feeds them small locusts.

I can second this, as I know this lady also :).

All hers feed on small locusts and fruit fly when she can get an amount on fruit, she had mealworms but like alan said they don't eat them.

She has about 7 or 8 outdoor enclosures full of different native species and babies :).

Love her green geckos not sure if they're naultinus gemmeus or from another NZ region now, apparently they're very hard to get to breed though.