KMart android tablet?

Sophia

I haven't really moved into the 90s as far as technology goes, I was forced onto 3G network by the death of CDMA. Now I see this cheap tablet and I wonder if anyone has bought one, and would it be any good for a beginner? I plan to take it to work, read and reply to emails, fill in forms and such like. There is plenty of wifi available at work so I might do a bit of surfing, checking things on here.

Page 12-13 of the catalogue

http://www.kmart.co.nz/catalogue/catalo ... ogueID=627

:smln:

I've got a bit of experience with tablets and other android devices, and in my experience, a $300 tablet will be 2 or 3 x nicer to use than a Cheaper brand $200 or less tablet.

If I were looking at a new tablet today there are. Bunch of great entry level devices from Samsung, Acer, HP etc that in my experience are much nicer than any of the no-name-brands.

The more well known brands tend to have more software updates as well which is good.

Have a look at the 7 inch options at somewhere like noel leemings. I've got a ten inch tablet but I think I will go for a 7 or 8 inch next time.

This is a great deal at the moment in my opinion:

http://www.warehousestationery.co.nz/is ... =OfferList

Smaller than the Kmart one but it should be a lot nicer to use

This would be a really nice tablet but it is a jump in price over the Kmart one: http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/compu ... 22668.html

At the end of the day all android tablets will 'do' the same things, but the better brands will do it a lot smoother, probably better battery life, clearer screen etc. I guess what's important to me may not be the same as what's important to you, so I would recommend trying some in person and pay attention to the picture quality, see what the build quality feels like etc

Agree with the previous posts. Avoid these no-name brands. It says it works with Google Play, but many of the cheap ones don't even though they run Android.

If you look up reviews for those Audiosonic tablets, there are plenty of people who hate them.

That HP one linked above would be far far far better.

• 2 months later...

This subject is back again...

I spent hours this week working on a spreadsheet at various places, making notes and filling in cells. It was made more labourious by the fact that I don't have an electronic note taker so I had to scribble on a bit of paper and then transfer the notes to the spreadsheet when I was back at my desk. In this sort of situation would a tablet or a notebook/mini laptop be better? it doesn't have to process formulas etc, just surf the net, do emails, fill in spreadsheets or take notes in Word, and PERHAPS LATER use an application to view CCTV footage from time to time. The latter is a bonus, not a requirement.

Blueether, that one is considerably more than I've got to spend... :(

I went to Warehouse Stationery this morning and was looking at the various tablets, including the HP one above from Good Guys (which was $230), and I asked the guy if I could use a spreadsheet on a tablet, and he said no. He said only if it was on the web. So how does that work? If I can open it on the web, or in an app, how do I get it from there back into my spreadsheet? Is it just a copy and paste situation or can I open the same spreadsheet in different formats and have the changes still saved?

I have the sony xperia Z ultra as my phone/tablet, it's great at 6.44 inches, I use a pencil as a stylus with it and an app called officesuite which works well, price might be a bit high though.

check out pricespy for prices(the cheapest place might not be the best place to buy from, I stick to PBtech, playtech, expert infotech, Ascent and the more established retailers) .

I would go for the newer version of the Nexus 7 myself.

kingsoft office should run on most androids, but your experience will vary depending on the power (CPU & RAM) of the device.

For usability I would go for 7" as a min, 10" if you are going to be doing lots of work on it.

If you want ease of use look int getting a wireless keyboard/mouse as well, either using usb OTG or bluetooth.

I have the sony xperia Z ultra as my phone/tablet, it's great at 6.44 inches, I use a pencil as a stylus with it and an app called officesuite which works well, price might be a bit high though.

check out pricespy for prices(the cheapest place might not be the best place to buy from, I stick to PBtech, playtech, expert infotech, Ascent and the more established retailers) .

I would go for the newer version of the Nexus 7 myself.

Who would have thought that two Ultra users would turn up here? :bounce:

PS thanks for the updated pricespy listing, always good to know that your device has dropped by $80 :slfg:

Today I bought the 7 inch Samsung and I really like it. For what I want to do with spreadsheets it's good, better than expected.

Discovered that Telecom's advert of Free Wifi isn't actually free, of course I should have known that :facepalm: unless there is more to it.

Seems like I can pick up the Wifi of the various neighbours as well as other major networks, which was a surprise.