Canister Filters - what do you recommend?

malawi_man

I've always used eheim classic 2213, 2215, 2217 or fluval 404's on my tanks.

I'm after a canister filter for my new 300 litre tank, but filter needs to be rated for at least 400 litre tank.

What do you use, what's good and what's bad?

I've seen the aqua one aquis filters around, how reliable are they, and how quiet?

I've used Eheims and Sunsuns, the Sunsuns win hands down. Much larger and easier to use, being half the price is a big factor too. They go all the way up to 2000lph I believe, two of those on a 300L tank should be sufficient.

I've used the 2213 and found it pretty rubbish, the largest tank I use it on is a 54L and it only just does the job, I'd only ever buy a bargain one second hand. In theory a 2200lph filter would do 7 times hourly turn over on a 300L tank, probably 4-5 times in practise. Are you planning on having it very heavily stocked?

My African Cichlid tank is about 350L, I use a FX5 and a 2000Lph Asian brand(Jebo?) canister filter that it came with.

Ive read that the cheap filters are more power hungry, and I know they are noisier. On the plus side as far as filtration goes it ran the tank a few weeks on its own and did a great job, its got massive baskets and its pretty much the exact size of the Sunsuns which are also really cheap. If your on a budget it is probably a third of the price as well. Im sure as long as I left the powerhead in there the fish wouldnt notice if I removed a filter. I actually had more trouble getting right and spend more time on maintenence for the fluval believe it or not.

Depends what you put in there and how much you need to feed it of course

The tank wont be heavily stocked for a while, but eventually it will be. Either malawis or tangs, depending on what fish I put where.

I don't want to spend more than about $300, but I'm happy to buy 2nd hand.

Any idea of the noise produced by the sunsun 304? It's going in my bedroom so needs to be fairly quiet.

The tank will be getting about 1/3 water change about once a week.

Any idea of the noise produced by the sunsun 304? It's going in my bedroom so needs to be fairly quiet.

Both of my Sunsun 302 are dead quiet and always have been. I've had them in my lounge and bedroom without an issue.

I've got an Eheim Pro 3E. It's quiet and certainly pumps like a champ. The only thing I don't like about it is, the pump controller must be load sensing, as putting my CO2 diffuser on the Eheim's output caused it to reduce max output by 50%. I moved the diffuser to my Unimax 500, which is cheap, quiet and too dumb to notice the change in flow.

I'd probably try an Aqua One if I was buying right now.

I'm running a 1000lph internal filter on a 54L tank. Using a short spray bar it absolutely smashed it so I drilled the holes as big as possible and now the flow isn't as strong. Have a play around with different filter outlets and their placement in the tank.

• 3 months later...
I've used Eheims and Sunsuns, the Sunsuns win hands down. Much larger and easier to use, being half the price is a big factor too. They go all the way up to 2000lph I believe, two of those on a 300L tank should be sufficient.

:iag: Just got a Sunsun HW-303B (rated for 300L) Which is awesome, using it on 55L tank (bit of overkill). The Sunsun HW Series comes with Inbuilt UV sterilisers. The series continues to the HW-403 which is rated for 400, it may seem cheap but it's surely worth it. Only problem is priming it when you first get it and make sure your water levels quite high also the plastic on spray bar/outlet and intake is a bit fragile but treat it with love and respect you should be fine. :bounce:

• 1 month later...

I'll vouch for the Sunsuns as well, had a couple in the past and just bought a 1000 lph one.

They are quiet, cheap and surprisingly well made. I got mine for $100 shipped including free media, you can't beat that.

I've had issues with Eheim before, and the one Aqua one aquis I had crapped the bed after a few months (and I don't like their heaters either, so I stay away from Aqua one now)

I'll vouch for the Sunsuns as well, had a couple in the past and just bought a 1000 lph one.

They are quiet, cheap and surprisingly well made. I got mine for $100 shipped including free media, you can't beat that.

I've had issues with Eheim before, and the one Aqua one aquis I had shit the bed after a few months (and I don't like their heaters either, so I stay away from Aqua one now)

Interesting, I've had CF1200s running for probably about 15 years between them(3 filters, one has been unused for a few years)and the only issue was a single noisy impeller. Much better record than the POS fluvals and eheims I've had.