Identification please! Also, green water problem!

ikarusdk

Hi, I've always had this fish, now it's grown quite big now. I am quite a newbie when it comes to knowing what species they are..

Here's a picture. It has blue body with yellow/orange tints in dorsal and caudal fins and on the body.

UXsWUCp.jpg

Also... I've been having this issue for years now. I just don't know how to deal with this issue..

Water rapidly turns green to the point where my regular water change can't keep up with it. I usually end up having to drain the entire tank and start up the new aquarium each time..

My tank is African Cichlid tank, 150L, with Aqua One external canister filter. All water chemistry is always kept in check. I feed my fish mainly with JBL Novo Rift sticks.

For those who might say the tank is too small, I have a 500L tank being prepared (I'm buliding a 3D Background!)

The picture below is taken two days after a complete water change and you can already see the water turning green. I don't overfeed my fish or anything so I don't know what is turning green. It seems to me that wheenver I feed my fish with JBL Rift, the water turns greener the next several hours or overnight but from my research, people have no issues with this food.

If you can please advice me what the problem is, and how to mitigate this issue, it would be much appreciated. Nothing looks worse than a sickly green fish tank...

ZEujNrM.jpg

can see rocks on left looks like they havent put back yet after water change

That was 2 days ago.

Anyway, I have one tank that always has green water too and don't feed whatever it is you said you feed yours.

I put it down to:

Plants - it's the only planted tank I have and/or

Sunlight - the sun streams through into this particular room and tank, so probably an algae bloom. There is black algae growing in that tank too so I think it's an algae problem.

Put something in that tank, the poor fish are naked :fshi:

Yeah haha. as Zuri said, I haven't put the rocks back iin yet although I know it was 2 days ago..

can see rocks on left looks like they havent put back yet after water change

This tank gets quite bit of sunlight as it is quite close to a lounge window. The new tank will be put away from the window, but until then, I have to deal with green water....

What are you feeding the fish? I had problems with green water when I was feeding foods that were high in phosphates.

And the fish you have asked for an ID on is probably a hybrid zebra, however it doesn't appear to be coloured up properly and its not a full photo so maybe take another photo of the full fish when it is fully coloured up for another opinion.

Sounds like it most likely is excess sunlight so should fix itself once the fish are in their new home.

I am not too happy with the mix of fish as I don't think the clown loaches should be with Africans. Also, as stated, those fish need lots of caves for hiding places. They will be feeling very stressed with nowhere to hide.

What are you feeding the fish? I had problems with green water when I was feeding foods that were high in phosphates.

And the fish you have asked for an ID on is probably a hybrid zebra, however it doesn't appear to be coloured up properly and its not a full photo so maybe take another photo of the full fish when it is fully coloured up for another opinion.

At this time of year id say it would be the food making the water green.

are you taking the rocks out each clean and leaving them out?, they probably full of lots of dead bacteria. leave them in, move them around a bit they are a part of your filtration system, probably not the food as i've never heard it linked to green water before except in cases of over feeding. how many hours is your light on for? how much and how often do you feed?

try cutting back the feeding, even down to 3-4 times per week and see if that helps, if it doesn't then food may not be the issue.

also btw your blue fish is a hybrid based on a ice blue red top, probably crossed with an "electric blue" zebra type thing.

another good Idea would be to blakc out the 3 sides, you don't veiw from.

btw at this time of the year the sun is lower in angle so it would more likely get more direct sunlight than during summer

also get a full water test done, nitrates and phosphates especially but i'd be interested in the pH as well, africans colour up best in high pH.

I'm feeding them mostly with JBL Novo Rift sticks.

Sounds like it most likely is excess sunlight so should fix itself once the fish are in their new home.

I am not too happy with the mix of fish as I don't think the clown loaches should be with Africans. Also, as stated, those fish need lots of caves for hiding places. They will be feeling very stressed with nowhere to hide.

Clown loaches were with a tiger bard tank I was given by a friend of mine as he couldn't take care of them. I've just put them in the tank as many people told me although they aren't suited for Africans, they can live with them (I might be wrong). I had to sell the tiger bard tank, but the buyer wouldn't take the loaches. Dad likes them though.

I also took the rocks out but they are all back in now.

At this time of year id say it would be the food making the water green.

I reduced the frequency and amount of feeding but the water is turning greener every day so I'm leaning towards to sunlight..

are you taking the rocks out each clean and leaving them out?, they probably full of lots of dead bacteria. leave them in, move them around a bit they are a part of your filtration system, probably not the food as i've never heard it linked to green water before except in cases of over feeding. how many hours is your light on for? how much and how often do you feed?

try cutting back the feeding, even down to 3-4 times per week and see if that helps, if it doesn't then food may not be the issue.

also btw your blue fish is a hybrid based on a ice blue red top, probably crossed with an "electric blue" zebra type thing.

another good Idea would be to blakc out the 3 sides, you don't veiw from.

btw at this time of the year the sun is lower in angle so it would more likely get more direct sunlight than during summer

also get a full water test done, nitrates and phosphates especially but i'd be interested in the pH as well, africans colour up best in high pH.

Damn. I don't really like hybrids. He came with the tank when I bought it few years ago. He was just a baby so I thought he was a zebra.

The rocks are all back in now. My lighting is usually off because the lounge is always bright till 4pm or so. I feed perhaps twice a day, very small amounts each time. I reduced it to once a day or two, but the water has been turning greener each day.

I am going to grab some black sheet to cover the tank see if it helps.

pH level is around 8 or 8.5.