damn incorrect ID books. I have found about 10 :evil: LIES :evil: in this one

might make good kindling

Ok got the official ID, Oligosoma smithi or Shore skink

can some one please edit the Title???

supposedly Mcannes skinks are South island only

damn incorrect ID books. I have found about 10 :evil: LIES :evil: in this one

might make good kindling

Mrs Smith on your facebook page :wink:

The Bream head skink is gorgeous! Very similar to the brown skinks I've seen near Wellington. The skinks you have seen running around carine are almost certainly rainbow skinks; an accidental import that is rapidly becoming a pest. One of their known vectors is compost and pot plants. Rainbow skinks lay their eggs (only one species of native skink lays eggs) in the compost/pot and the pot gets transported around the country. Which is why they appear in high densities in garden centres and replanted areas.

rainbows = comment about the skinks at Carine.

Shore skinks = thread topic

New Species = comments about M@ goregeous little fella.

p.s. before you running out to catch and photo your own skinks remember it is technically illegal to handle any NZ Native reptile without a permit.

p.s. before you running out to catch and photo your own skinks remember it is technically illegal to handle any NZ Native reptile without a permit.

But it's perfectly legal for you to introduce a predatory species into the environment and allow it to eat them, just as long as you don't touch the reptile while your cat eats it.

The Bream head skink is gorgeous! Very similar to the brown skinks I've seen near Wellington.

Thanks Guys, i was pretty stoked to be involved with this one!

how the hell do you prove a skink is a different species if they are all morphologically variable? genetic testing?

It is very closely related to the brown skink, but they are only found below Taranaki, so finding something similar in northland got lots of people very excited!

The DNA testing showed something like a 3.5% variance from the brown skink, and the current variance within that species is 1.2%, i think. So it will be investigated further (with things like scale counts) this summer to see if it will be described as a unique species

And as F15hguy pointed out, yes we did have a permit for handling, but had to take the one we caught into DOC for the DNA sample to be taken (was released back where we caught it after)