My first sump/ fully planted set up

Fishboydave

Hiya all been a bAckseat reader on these forums for a long time now I am currently in the process of a fully planted tank build plus sump

The tank I aquired a while ago and I have just finished making the sump and setting up the overflow etc. the tank is a bit rough but I am trying to make the best of it.

The tank is 1220 long 650 wide and 840 high all in ten mm glass and eurobraced

The sump is a tiny bit smaller being 900 long 440 wide and 500 high

After watching. A few DIY fishkeepers videos on YouTube I was planning on making a wet/dry trickle system that will sit in the sump so all in all I will be pushing close to 1000l my biggest setup to date.

Any ideas and criticism will be greatly appreciated as I wish to make this my best setup yet :)

Look forward to hearing from ya

When I figure out how to post pics I will whack a few up.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for your first post, but an 840mm high tank with only 10mm glass only has a safety factor of 1.4, which is pretty risky IMO!

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

If it were me I'd fill it to about 600 high and have plants/wood sticking out of the water. Not sure how that would work with your sump plans though.

Halides would be your best bet, people use them on marine tanks that are deeper than your tank so I don't see why it wouldn't work for plants, I could be wrong though. I use them on my 600 high tank and there is plenty of light at the bottom.

It has normal bracing as well as eurobracingthn those two have been capped with another bit of glass so the bracings are 30 mm thick and the bottom bracing is 15mm the patch is covering an old intake hole which is messy as hell done by previous owners :/

That kind of bracing is standard on anything over a few hundred litres. I agree with the_obsticle, you're taking a fair gamble filling it to full heigh. I know you said you've test-filled it, but it's only going to break once...

I can't comment on the hallides but I would suggest seriously look into the LED option, either DIY or off the shelf. The higher cost will very soon be made up for by the lower running costs and longer life. The 30W LED floods I'm running on my tank are supposedly the equivilent of a 400W halogen.

I'd only fill the tank to that same height.

+1 for that idea. Fill it to ~60cm high and have some plants and wood sticking up to fill the remaining height. You'll also have less issues with getting light to the lower levels with only 60cm water depth too.