Chilly Chiller

blueether

Came home for lunch to day to find that the native tank was covered in condensation, so I checked the temp thinking it might be down to 15 deg.

Got s shock when I saw 4 deg, so checked with another and 4.0 deg. Temp on the chiller still read 19 and the chiller was running full steam :(

936431_10151743014954369_1357466324_n.jpg

I have lost two fish so far, one smelt (the others are looking very stressed) and the troublesome algae eater that was re-homed. I hope that the bottom dwellers will be ok as they are hardly breathing - I guess that the extra warmth from the midwater fish swiming has helped the kokopu and smelt but they still looked stressed...

I think it was the controller as after a power cycle it read the correct temp. I'm sure the temp was 18.2 last night when I fed them

One of the fish was the CAE so I suspect that they don't like temps that cold, the mullet as a warmer water fish, and for the others I suspect that it was the quick drop in temp - 15 deg in about 15 hours.

Have had a 150w heater in there since lunchtime and the temp has lifted to ~9.5 deg. Have taken it out now and will let the temp continue more slowly. Everything else is looking better now, but will have to watch for disease in the next week or two.