June 16, 201313 yr comment_531020 I am wanting to get LED lighting for my fresh water tank, and was wondering what my options were. I have seen the link to Stealth LED Lighting and want to know what other places I could get lighting from, and what places would people recommend. Report
June 16, 201313 yr comment_531031 Are you wanting to buy ready made units or try making one yourself with a little bit of DIY skill? Report
June 16, 201313 yr Author comment_531033 Are you wanting to buy ready made units or try making one yourself with a little bit of DIY skill? I have never DIY'ed somthing that complicated before, I would be willing to try if you can link me to a well described build thread, but am more looking at getting a ready made unit. Also forgot to mention that it is for a 1.2m long tank, so the ones they sell at the likes of HFF are to small for the tank. Report
June 16, 201313 yr comment_531034 Ahh ok. You do need to know a bit about circuits and so on for a DIY build so best to buy ready made. Are you wanting to grow plants or just light the tank? Fish-street.com have some ready made units for a good price. There's also a NZ based site importing and selling the Aqua Illuminations range which look really nice. Do a search in the commercial sales section for them. also - it looks like Henward has just added some to his big tank, he might be able to point you in the right direction. Report
June 16, 201313 yr Author comment_531035 It is just to view the fish in my tank, So doesnt need to be special for growing plants, but I may add a few java ferns to the tank once it has light, so it would be preferable if it has the ability to grow plants. Report
June 16, 201313 yr comment_531045 jaycar super bright LED strip lights come in 5m roll just need to cut and solder Report
June 16, 201313 yr comment_531086 Go EBAY EBAY has LED strips at $20 per meter shipped to your door! i would recommend get everythign on EBAY. NZ just has them too costly. you get kits too, and they seem pretty simple actually. If you want them to look 'cool' - then get stealth or something similar. they do loo amazing. but really, you can achieve the same thing through ebay stuff. i used carpet ends joiners and glued the stirps under that. its so low prifile you cant even see it when you are looking at the tank. LEDs are so cheap to buy - and the stuff you get are all the same so someone just assembles it for you in a fancy package and sells it for a few thousands % markup Report
June 17, 201313 yr comment_531121 if you want one for viewing fish, then a finnex monster ray is a good option. http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Monster-Aq ... B00BP6QGGA 154 American dollars. free shipping Report
June 19, 201313 yr comment_531364 I saw Philips LED tubes that go straight into you standard T8 (?) what about something like that? Has anyone tryed them before? Report
June 19, 201313 yr comment_531365 ha just came in here to ask if anyone has tried those led tubes ..... look handy and efficient? Report
June 19, 201313 yr comment_531375 Yeh very efficent. I am going to borrow two over the weekend and put them over a tank to see if I like them or not. I will take pictures and post for a comparision. They seem like a much simplier option to making your own strip of led Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.