under tank support

camtang

What do people find the best to use under their tank? I was looking at a rubber mat, but it was $95 at 15mm so I think I may go with poly

My tank is 1700x 700 so what thickness would be best to use?

Not particularly critical how thick it is. It's just there to smooth out any bits of debris, nail heads and other little pressure points. Towels have been used too. 15mm is fine or whatever polystyrene you happen to find in that region.

yeah, but you live life on the edge :sml2:

#YOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:facepalm:

I just measured the poly under my 400L tank that has been there ~12 months and it is still exactly 10mm, hasn't even crushed half a mil with ~500kg sitting on top of it. Perhaps if you're not using ply or a flat base under the tank [ie just sitting on steel or timber frame) you might get a bit of crushing going on, but with a flat surface like ply even with a massive amount of weight on it the poly will barely crush, so 10mm is plenty.

#YOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:facepalm:

I just measured the poly under my 400L tank that has been there ~12 months and it is still exactly 10mm, hasn't even crushed half a mil with ~500kg sitting on top of it. Perhaps if you're not using ply or a flat base under the tank [ie just sitting on steel or timber frame) you might get a bit of crushing going on, but with a flat surface like ply even with a massive amount of weight on it the poly will barely crush, so 10mm is plenty.

Guessing at the dimensions of your tank, say 1200mmX600mm, that puts it at an area of 7200 square centimeters at 500kg. That's a pressure of about 70 grams. That's roughly the weight of a large chicken's egg spread out over about the area of your thumb. I don't imagine that would cause a measurable depression in your average density polystyrene foam.:)

Guessing at the dimensions of your tank, say 1200mmX600mm, that puts it at an area of 7200 square centimeters at 500kg.

Footprint is actually 1400x650mm so it's even less than that. My big tank is 2400x1200x700, so with a footprint of 28800cm^2 and ~2200kg it is about 76g per square cm.