My 200l planted tank. First "real" build!

Asmodeus

Hey all,

This will be a log of my first "real" aquarium build. I had a 90l tropical tank a few years ago and while it was mostly successful, it had no real design and I didn't really know what I was doing. After all the research I've done over the last year, I now know that I did a lot of stuff wrong... :dno:

Anyhoo, I had a nice spot in my new lounge for a tank so have been researching on and off for the last year with the aim of setting up something nice and doing it properly. I finally bought an aquarium off Trademe which was a 200l Sunsun with hood and matching stand. The tank itself is nice with rounded front corners and is nice and high (590mm). The stand is also solidly built and fairly pleasant looking too. The whole thing is on wheels and actually well built.

The bad parts about it were the inbuilt lights and inbuilt hood filter. The lights didn't have waterproof caps but were concealed behind a piece of perspex. The cheap crappy ballast in the hood had gone and so I made the decision to rip the entire lighting system out and put my own in. The hood filter was also not great and makes the hood a PITA to take on and off so I completely removed that too and got a canister.

The other thing I was dead set on was a 3D background so i finally tracked down a place that would ship one of the nice Aquaterra ones here and got one that fits the tank exactly (for 159 euros...) So, on to the build.

Tank: Sunsun 200l with stand and hood

Canister: Sunsun 304B 2000lph with 9w UV lamp

Heater: Aqua One 300w

3D background: Aqua Terra Red Canyon Rock 1000x 500mm

Wavemaker: Aqua Syncro HWM 4000 (1000lph)

Air Pump: Little rattly Hailea thing that came with the tank :P

The tank :)

8888455150_ed03bf0ebc_b.jpg

Outside for a wash and a water tightness test

8865623508_6e406c31c3_b.jpg

The hood with inbuilt filter removed and 2x39w T5HO tubes with reflectors added

8865004621_6800b22a31_b.jpg

The ballast came all hard wired to the end caps so it was a PITA to get in but I finally managed. It now sits attached to the back of the hood

8865024223_52d7ea7161_b.jpg

And the canister filter in the cupboard underneath

8865002779_43c93232d9_b.jpg

The 3D background that I had shipped in from Malta of all places. Really nice and well built

8865006023_66b82f7a00_b.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a big fan of tanks Ive seen online where all the plumbing and life support was hidden behind the background so that's what I did. I cut a hole in the underneath of the overhang in the top left of the back ground

8865619114_a7d1427c2a_b.jpg

Seen from Underneath

8865620408_d16ae10550_b.jpg

And from behind. I siliconed a steel mesh over it so fish can't get back there

8865615906_b8c5e15126_b.jpg

Here is the back of the background showing the water returns from the canister which stick through to the front. I've also attached the heater clips so that sits back there too. It ended up being a mistake to split the return as it dropped the pressure too much. So I've stuck a rubber bung in the bottom one and now it only comes out the top which helped

8865626898_96588c2d09_b.jpg

I also cut the centre brace of the aquarium (naughty I know) so I could get the background in without cutting it in half. I repaired it with fixing plates. Each end has 2 plates and 4 small bolts so will hold fine

8865017651_7827fc3652_b.jpg

Here you can see the returns coming back through the front of the background. They aren't really noticeable as they are built into a fold in the rock. I used joiners for 19mm irrigation hose as they are barbed and wont slip back through the background

8865617230_c6b20189f4_b.jpg

Still umming and ahhhing about CO2 atm. Will start off low tech anyway :)

Here is the background slotted into the tank. It almost fits perfectly and all I had to do was round the corners. Wedges nice under the tank rim too so not going to need silicone and I will be able to take it out later if needed :)

8865633374_642e0be712_b.jpg

Put some weather seal along the edges and along the bottom of the background so it's nice and tight in the tank. This should stop substrate getting behind and keep the water flowing where I want it to

8865635150_f7295c75ca_b.jpg

Heres the background in the tank up on the stand

8865639606_311257826e_b.jpg

Here it is from the front. Starting to take shape now :) I bought a couple of nice bits iof drift wood too and chucked them in for scale

8865028863_f916fec9a5_b.jpg

soaking the driftwood, washing the substrate (coffee grit from Stone and Water World) and some nice reddish rocks I found at HFF

8865030649_f582216f08_b.jpg

Substrate in and tank filling in the lounge. Yes I remembered to put a level on it. It got to half full and I noticed it was on a forward lean. Took some water out and put some bits of cardboard under the front wheels and got it level :)

8865641628_c62a93ed72_b.jpg

You hear people talking about tanks bowing when the brace is removed and here it is in action. It's only a couple of mm and mainly because the brace was actually curved a bit. It can't go any further anyway as there are 8 bolts stopping it...

8865037323_692cbb72a1_b.jpg

Chucked the wood in and tried a few setups but eventually decided the big piece was too chunky with the background and all so didn't go with it in the end. Nice piece but too big

8865038433_8caf1a48c4_b.jpg

8865647678_40f661f97b_b.jpg

Couldn't stop a slow leakin the return as the plastic screw on clamps that came with the filter just weren't up to it. Had to get some teflon tape and a proper hose clamp on the case which sorted it out :)

8865035421_1a39fffa00_b.jpg

Got everything plugged in and turned on and got an LED lamp for the cupboard so I can see what the hell is going on.

8887840631_5c47016b99_b.jpg

Messed around with the substrate, rocks and wood and after drooling at loads of aquascapes on line, settled on a hardscape I like. With the background already a big feature as well as taking up real estate in the tank, I decided I didn't want any other huge features. The larger piece of wood is biggish but doesn't take up too much room

8865041045_356ecb34e6_b.jpg

The flow from the canister wasn't great in terms of getting a good current going so I chucked in a small wavemaker with a magnetic base that I can move around. It's a little 1000lph one that produces a nice amount of current

8888460388_6160f94b59_b.jpg

The water was cloudy from stirring up the substrate, etc so I drained it, went and got a bunch of standard plants from HFF and did some planting.

8888458610_4c71fd41f0_b.jpg

That was yesterday...

Which brings us to today. I've put in a couple more plants. Just want to pin some javafern to the wood and then will leave it to grow but lfs was out of java fern. Water is cloudy but I'm gonna leave it do its thing now

8888462944_c63a4d309c_b.jpg

I also dropped in an airstone behind the background to aerate the water. I added some Stresscote and that's all she wrote :)

Now to cycle. I don't really want to kill fish so would rather do a fishless cycle. I've read you can do this with 10% ammonia solution but not sure where to get any. Have seen others say to just "chuck a prawn in your tank" and others say yet other things. I don't know anyone else with a tank atm so can't nab live bio filter from anyone.

I've also bought a box of fert tabs to poke into the substrate around my plants as it is an inert grit. Bought an API master test kit too.

Questions now are;

What would you recommend for best cycling?

Is this going to turn in to algae soup with 80w t5HO and root tabs but no CO2?

How often/how much should I do water changes in this initial stage and how often should I clean out the filter given it's cloudy?

Do I need to buy anything else right now?

Look forward to getting this lush and healthy and I'll definitely be needing your expert advice :)

I just used cloudy ammonia from the supermarket, used seeded media ever since.

It's a fairly deep tank but only time will tell. Be prepared for new tank algae (brown algae) for the first 3-6 weeks. You'll know if you need CO2 after a couple of months.

How often/how much should I do water changes in this initial stage and how often should I clean out the filter given it's cloudy?

I usually do weekly water changes at the start, perhaps thrice weekly if the algae is looking nasty.

A big bag of patience couldn't hurt :wink:

I just used cloudy ammonia from the supermarket, used seeded media ever since.

It's a fairly deep tank but only time will tell. Be prepared for new tank algae (brown algae) for the first 3-6 weeks. You'll know if you need CO2 after a couple of months.

I usually do weekly water changes at the start, perhaps thrice weekly if the algae is looking nasty.

A big bag of patience couldn't hurt :wink:

Cool, thanks Sam. I do know I must be patient. It's hard as I'm really excited about having a working (just) aquarium again :dnc1:

I will look for ammonia at Countdown or PAK n Save. I heard store bought ones often had detergents and other things added so will try and find one that doesn't. I have no access to seeded media so will have to do this the long way.

Will try weekly water changes for now unless algae gets rough. I'll check the state of the filter then but try not to mess around with it

Cleaning the mechanical media at each water change or even monthly is fine, just leave the biological alone for a bit longer. Without fish it shouldn't get too dirty anyways. I will be following this thread very closely!

Any chance you could add your location via the User Control Panel? That way local members can assist if need be 8)

Whenever I feel like doing a fishless cycle I have just added some of the store bought bacteria seeding stuff and dropped a pinch of flake or a pellet in and let it cycle that way, once levels were fine I slowly added fish.

Amazing build so far mate, well done. Any idea on what you will be stocking it with?

Whenever I feel like doing a fishless cycle I have just added some of the store bought bacteria seeding stuff and dropped a pinch of flake or a pellet in and let it cycle that way, once levels were fine I slowly added fish.

Amazing build so far mate, well done. Any idea on what you will be stocking it with?

Thanks man! I read that the store bought bacteria stuff isn't that effective and isn't even the same archaea that set up in your filter. I figured that adding pure ammonia removed the need for the adding food and letting it rot step? Not sure which method to try...

Thanks man :)

Still not sure what I will stock it with yet, that's a whole other research project. It will be a community tank of some kind I think. Would like some nice specimen fish too, Really have no idea yet but open to suggestions!

I had another question, I currently have the lights on for 7 hours (4pm - 11pm). Is this about right for now to get the plants going but not encourage too much algae?

Awesome looking tank mate. Your hard work and careful planning looks like it will pay off big time. What fish are you going to add? Can't you add a couple of small fish to get your cycle going? With 200l how much ammonia can a few small fish produce? Wouldn't think enough to cause any harm. At least not till the filter catches up. Just my opinion, but I have no patience either. :wink:

Thanks! Like I said, still unsure what fish I will have. :dunno: I could chuck in a few small mountain minnows or somethign, I'd just rather not have any fish suffer if they don't need to is all. If it;s as easy as putting a few drops of ammonia or a bit of fish food in there then I'd rather do that.

I had another question, I currently have the lights on for 7 hours (4pm - 11pm). Is this about right for now to get the plants going but not encourage too much algae?

I would reduce the lighting down to 6 hours. With those lights you might want to invest in a co2 system and ferts.

wow

very elegant

I would reduce the lighting down to 6 hours. With those lights you might want to invest in a co2 system and ferts.

OK I'll dial it back to 6 hours for now. I have it on at those times as that is when I am home so can enjoy looking at it. So it does get some ambient light during the day but no direct sunlight (especially now it's winter).

I have stuck some root tabs in around my new plants but haven't started dosing liquid ferts or anything yet. I realise I may well have to go CO2 and that's fine but I just want to get a bit of establishment first. It was mentioned earlier that I'd know for sure after a month or so whether or not it's a must so I'll see how it goes. I should be able to hide a diffuser behind my background so what's another couple hundred bucks in this game? :)

I should be able to hide a diffuser behind my background so what's another couple hundred bucks in this game? :)

You're probably looking at around $350-$400 for a decent CO2 rig, the biggest cost these days is the cylinder. I'd definitely check out inline diffusers for super stealth.

Your tank isn't on the smaller end, anything over 60L can't economically use a sodastream rig. You're looking at around $100 or so for the regulator and diffuser, bubble counter etc then another $250 for a proper sized cylinder. Sodastream would last you maybe a week on this sized tank and at $12 for 250g refill of CO2 it ends up being about $50 a month. Whereas only $30 for 7kg refill of CO2 which would last you around 7 months, the investment in a larger cylinder pays for itself fairly quickly. Hope that all makes sense.

Makes loads of sense :) Seems a lot for the tank but I guess they need to be well made. What's the cheapest place to pick one up and what size do most people go for? 7kg?

I read on a brewing forum that you can pick up converted fire extinguishers for fairly good prices