Recently addicted in Palmy

mrrick

Hi all.

I got a tank earlier this year... now I have 7 tanks.

1. Guppies and Platies (50 L)

2. Mountain minnows (100 L)

3. African cichlids (50 L)

4. Bell Frogs

5. Angels (30 L (but building a 170 L)

6. Mixed community tank (100 L)

7. More African Cichlids (40 L)

So... a wee bit obessive? What I want, what I NEED, is a BIG tank, so I am trying to get a 500L that will hopefully cure me of all these little things.

I Like Kuhli loaches, Rams, and thinking about getting into some Discus...

But need a BIG tank first.

What I want, what I NEED, is a BIG tank, so I am trying to get a 500L that will hopefully cure me of all these little things.

I Like Kuhli loaches, Rams, and thinking about getting into some Discus...

But need a BIG tank first.

Hate to break it to you, but 500L is a medium tank. You've gotta go into the 1000+ range for a BIG tank. :D

Hello and welcome, looks like you have a bad (or good) case of MTS.

You definitely need a bigger tank(s) especially for the African cichlids, also I would stay with the species you already have and gain a lot more experience before you move onto discus and even rams.

I planned to stick with current species for a while, but to convince the GF to let me have a bigger tank at home, I gotta get the fish she thinks are "pretty". I am trying to convince her that it would be best to stick with Angels for a while (but have you ever tried to convince a women that your idea is better than hers?)

Does anyone know if Kuhlis are easy to breed? I am sure one of mine is pregnant !

Welcome

So... a wee bit obessive? What I want, what I NEED, is a BIG tank, so I am trying to get a 500L that will hopefully cure me of all these little things.

Not at all obsessive, and as said 500L is not a big tank, just a fun sized one. I wont cure you though, there is no cure to mts.

Hello and welcome, looks like you have a bad (or good) case of MTS.

You definitely need a bigger tank(s) especially for the African cichlids, also I would stay with the species you already have and gain a lot more experience before you move onto discus and even rams.

Yeah, I'd like a bigger tanks for them, but like everything, I only have so much space.. Find me a 100-150 L tank, and I'll move them ! I REALLY like Cichlids to look at, but I'm a community kinda guy too, so am frustrated at their exclusivity.

More tanks will be the solution

Sorry to tell you then and this might sound rude, it's not meant to but you shouldn't buy fish if you can't provide the right conditions for them to live in. Also 150 ltrs is still too small, what sort of cichlids are they? Most Africans should be kept in large aquaria around the 300ltr mark.

Don't disagree with you. Was a case of over enthusiasm, mixed with unlucky inheritance ( I bought a tank off trademe that was meant to have Angels and 'see through' fish in it, and they were all Cichlids, THAT guy had no idea what he was doing. I'm trying to improve their homes as quick as I can.

Egg layers do NOT GET PREGNANT! :an!gry

I'm a Science teacher, you think I would have got that right. Okay, it (she) looks really full around the middle (more than the others)

I don't expect to see any babys, the tank is a real mix of fish (heavily planted) so they will probably get eaten.

It appears my 'beginner' approach to this is making me look stupid.

Not stupid at all, merely ignorant or ill informed, as many of us were when we started out in this hobby. A state you are attempting to correct as quickly as possible so all's good.

Welcome to The Fishroom.

Ignore Ira, he gets upset whenever some refers to their egg layer as being pregnant - a common statement :bggrn:

Welcome to the forums. :D

Buying tanks with existing fish often leads to the new owner ending up with fish that are in too small a tank. It seems that a lot of people, instead of purchasing a bigger tank just sell the lot off as one sale. I'm glad that you realise the tank is too small and are looking to remedy it :thup: