My 2000L tank build

David R

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes indeed!

However, I do ot trust my own DIY skills - so i have comissioned a steel frame stand to ensure I do not screw it up :D

Triple SSS grade for this project David! :wink:

1) Solid: Steel Stand..man if i were to weld one up i wouldnt go that far with all bracing..but ur truly solid built..

2) Slick: tank and overflow design is too good bro! love the space on overflow..

3) Super: Sump tank design more than just standard sumping..

are the sump system plumbing thg the wall like last time?

Cheers for the order David, It has been dispatched and should be with you shortly.

Not mucking about, Poret foam arrived today!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=922504&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1371032319

I think I under-estimated the space needed to get the big sheets in and out, I think six sheets will be too squashed and too awkward to remove for cleaning. I could probably add one more in the last compartment, but will give it a go as-is for now.

Not mucking about, Poret foam arrived today!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=922504&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1371032319

I think I under-estimated the space needed to get the big sheets in and out, I think six sheets will be too squashed and too awkward to remove for cleaning. I could probably add one more in the last compartment, but will give it a go as-is for now.

try squashing it first, i think it will work fine

y ou want no gaps on the side, overlap is good to make sure water has nowhere to go but through IMO.

just squash it, you only take it in and out every couple / few weeks (thats the goal anyways) so really, it doesnt matterif you have to spend 2 mins extra trying to wiggle them out.

look sawesome! looks effective!!

Yeah I'm wondering about the seal across the bottom and how much water will be able to get under there, I think I'll just have to push it down had and hope for the best!

yeah, try it out.

and play aorund with the configuration.

looks awesome though!

Yeah I'm wondering about the seal across the bottom and how much water will be able to get under there, I think I'll just have to push it down had and hope for the best!

run a heavy (tall) bead of silicon across the tank between the upright glass holders?

It doesn't sit quite straight, the Poret is 500mm wide and the tank is 484mm internally which helps hold it in place, but also puts a bit of a curve in it. I could probably trim it down a little given the vertical supports though.

It doesn't sit quite straight, the Poret is 500mm wide and the tank is 484mm internally which helps hold it in place, but also puts a bit of a curve in it. I could probably trim it down a little given the vertical supports though.

its ok, as long as the sides are sealed, dont matter if its diagonal or something right?

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update; I've been sorting out little things like plumbing, only had one small leak in one of the bulkheads which looks like it is sorted now. The drain from the sump is now plumbed back thru the wall to the tank room where it has an opening that I can siphon into from the tank, and from there it runs out thru the wall of the house, under the lawn and out into the bush. I need to make a spraybar too, the pump is a beast! Even with 40mm return plumbing the current coming out the end would blast the fish across the tank. One of the 50mm drains running at full siphon handles the flow, just, leaving the other to tank any excess should the lower drain get blocked. The big sump has sunk, so I'll add substrate this weekend and test-run the sump with the foam and media in place.

I've added a few pics to the thread on MFK, but nothing too exciting so I won't repost them here. I will post pics once it has substrate and lights!

HA! I did make the same mistake twice, should say "big sTump has sunk"...

:oops:

Mickey the stand was made by Northland Metal Industries up here, first one they've done AFAIK but a good friend has worked their for years so I was fairly confident they'd get it right. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Substrate makes it start looking like an aquarium rather than just a big glass box, getting excited about adding fish now!

attachment.php?attachmentid=927732&d=1372499633

Drained and refilled the tank after adding the 150kg of sand, took a little under two hours to fill with the hose...

A few rocks if/when I find some suitable, there's an old ballast pit in the middle of nowhere next to the railway line between Wellsford and Helesville I need to stop and check out one day. And a big pile of tangled wood down the other end of the tank trying to replicate a 'snag' in an Amazonian river where one would expect to find plecs.