My New Setup

Lucid

HI All,

Just thought I would put up some pics of my new Coldwater marine. It's in a 2ftx1ftx1ft tank and has a small magi jet filter on it. Current inhabitants are a couple of small herrings that I was lucky enough to stumble across in a deeper rock pool and some rockhoppers with a sea slug and a couple of hermit crabs.

The water is a little cloudy in the pics as everything was still settling in, will hopefully get some better pics today.

Also any info on keeping a setup like this would be appreciated, experiances, tips, hints etc would all be gratefully received

This is the sea slug munching on the seaweed.

ColdwaterSeaSlug.jpg

This is one of the little rockhoppers.

Coldwaterrockhopper.jpg

B

Is this basically stuff you've found in rockpools etc? What are you using for lighting/filtration/skimmers etc?

I only ask 'cause I was interested in doing something similar about a year ago, but I was put off by people saying that you shouldn't do anything marine in anything less than a 4' tank... :(

oh and what kindof substrate is that??

The substrate is just beach gravel, from the same coast as all the toher bits and peices and i is the same as I use in my freshwater tanks, except I didn't clean this stuff.

what kind of rocks

the rocks were just one that were in a rockpool, I pulled out that has seaweed attached to get a few little greeblies in it.

Is this basically stuff you've found in rockpools etc? What are you using for lighting/filtration/skimmers etc?

Yes it is all just rockpool stuff, and it just has a small internal filter on it, as I am quite close to the beach and getting fresh water is no probs at all for me.

B

There are posts elswhere about how to set up a natural cold water rockpool tank. I did one using a 3ft tank (cos I had an empty one at the time). My biggest problem was keeping it cool enough over summer. Bought a chiller recently so must set another one up.

We just went down the Kaikoura coast and gathered up rocks, sand and all sorts of greeblies and critters we found in the rockpools and dumped them in the tank. Looked good and very interesting to watch. I had an Aquaclear filter on it but nothing else. Every couple of weeks we would get a bit of sea lettuce and more sea water to top up the tank. Never fed the inhabitants much, just the occasional flake food. They seemed to live off the critters that came attached to the sea lettuce.

Our tank had chitons, anemones, sea cucumber, shrimps, rockfish, triplefins, starfish, brittlestars, hermit crabs and lots of other un-named critters.

Guess theres not so many rockpools up that huh.

I added the second half of the water today and a few extra shrimp, and found once I added them that one is holding eggs, so if nothing else there is a bit of food in there.

Released the small herrings, as they were just swimming round the top gasping for air.

More pics to come, will see what I can get tonite.

B

A few years ago i had a setup with an octopus and various other rock pool life. The octopus we found in a rockpool, it was a just a little baby. We didn't use skimmers or lights or anything, just a strong pump to create a bit of water flow. Every two days we would replace most of his water and bring him more food (mussels and things). We lived right next to the rockpools where he came from so it wasn't much of a mission. The octopus was one fo the most interesting pets i've ever had. He would recreate his 'garden' every time new things were added or they got messed up. In the end he grew too big though so it was back to the ocean.

i would love to have another octopus, living in auckland though isn't quite as convinient though.