need help!! algae problem!!

binu

hey friends i got algae in my tank need to do sumthng ..my tank is fully planted so i m scared to use algae fix coz last time it killed allmost all my plants ..i got black beard algae and green algae in my tank

any suggestions geting rid of them??

Perhaps employ a black-lined flying fox; they are cool fish and he or she will gobble up the black beard algae. I'm not sure about the green algae - if it feels slimy and is a bright green it might be cyano-bacteria. Green water, I've recently learnt, is caused by high nitrate levels. I've read that too much of one nutrient can lead to an algae bloom and just recently I had nigh nitrate. If there are no fish in your planted tank though you probably don't have high nitrate, unless there is lots of rotting stuff in there.

I don't know if that helps but I thought I would share :-)

get your water tested, Algae issues can be caused by excess phosphates. if you are using Tank water I would test the water out of the tap as well.

BBA is normally caused by a lack of CO2 in planted Aquariums, consider CO2 injection of some form.

also Flourish Excell (a organic carbon booster) will knock back the BBA quite quickly. Algaefix doesn't do anything to either BBA or Cyano if they are your problem.

how often do you do water changes?? what is your stocking level like??

thanks a lot guys for helping me ..

it is blue green algae

and black beard

now as u guys told i switched off my lights n kept it n full darkness..m buying flourish excell this week itself

ll update the result soon

also one more question wen i keep my tank in absolute darkness for 2 to 3 days will it effect my plants??

also forgot to tell my tank does have livestock aswell got lot of communitie fishes like neons rasboras also 2 octosynthus( alggae eater )

and 6 discus

Black out will do nothing for blue green algae which is not in fact algae but a bacteria - cyanobacteria. Three ways of getting rid of it -

1. fastidiously pick off every bit and vacuum up the rest and hope it doesnt come back

2. purchase an algae rid specifically aimed at getting rid of blue green algae

3. erythromicin tablets (human antibiotic)

Blackout will not particularly help black beard algae either unfortunately. That needs excel.

If you go down the route of using any sort of antibiotic keep an eye on your ammonia levels as it will knock back the bacteria in your filter as well.

Cyano is commonly found in areas with very low current.

I have found blackout works well for cyano but it must be a total blackout and don't feed the fish during this time either. The plants will cope with it for that short a time.

Whether it comes back again depends on the cause which, as said, needs to be corrected.

Sam, then you have never seen my tank. I have a 5,000 l/h and a 5,000-15,000l/h wavemaker, a 3,500 l/h pump with a corse filter and the canister filter that is doing over 1,000 l/h all in 430 l and I still have cyano - and lots of it.

A blackout does work well in my experience, and I think that Cyano is caused (or not helped) by too mush phosphate.

hey guys thanks a lot for ur support ..black out worked very well mainly for green algae everythng gone

can see some black beard still there i ll use flourish to get rid of tat :)

Hey Binu

How did you do your "black out"?? We have green cloudy water and trying desperately to get rid of it!