Rather new fishkeeper from Auckland - Updated with Photos

Thr33Swords

Hey guys,

I am a 27 year old Graphics Designer from Auckland, I play drums in a band, play lots of video games, and I also dabble in motorsport. I am still relatively new to the hobby of fish keeping, but I am genuinely loving it.

I have always wanted to get into the hobby, and a few months ago I decided to have a go. I bought a 57 litre tank off TradeMe and some accessories and started off with a few red Phantom Tetras. I did a huge amount of research (I am a bit of a research geek, whenever I attempt something new, I spend weeks doing research). Few months later, and a couple of neon tetras, a platy and a blue dwarf gourami later, I decided I want a bigger tank.

Big tanks are rather expensive though, so I decided to have a go at building my own glass tank. I used an online glass thickness calculator and planned to build a 144 litre tank. I found some glass on TradeMe for $1.50 and the silicone at Hollywood Fish Farm for $11.50. So yeah, two months have passed now, and the tank is working perfectly, added some more filtration, and a Siamese Algea Eater too.

I'll post some photos of my tank soon enough :)

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all!

Welcome :thup:

I did a huge amount of research (I am a bit of a research geek, whenever I attempt something new, I spend weeks doing research).

It is good you do that as 'not researching' is the biggest, most common mistake made in the hobby of fish keeping. Hope you have a fun time here.

Wow, what a warm welcome :) thanks guys.

Building the tank was actually much easier than I expected. I plan on building a 400 litre tank next with the intention of getting some Discus later on.

good effort on making the tank bro.

what's your band called?

We're called Escape, we're actually playing a gig 9pm at Thirsty Dog on K'Rd tonight haha :P

Anyway, might as well show some photos now :P

This is the tank during the build:

544516_10151506861578464_2050514247_n.jpg

Water Testing:

549811_10151510355923464_1003911499_n.jpg

And the final tank:

45390_10151512218163464_288495458_n.jpg

It's a shame the light is mostly on the wood, not the plants. Considered getting a full length light?

Yeah I definitely am... I used that light on my 57 litre, which was a lot shorter haha. A full length light is definitely on the cards.

Thanks for the kind words guys :)