aer0's Fluval Edge 23l Nano!

aer0

Posted the last one without knowing people couldn't reply... ooops

Hey all

I just got this tank as a kickoff to marine keeping while I do the build I spoke about in my other thread.

So I managed to score this Fluval Edge tank including heater, lighting and stock HOB filter for sub $100 on trademe.

Ive already purchased LED replacement bulbs to get rid of the current halogen's, the LED's are much much better!

I still plan to put in a couple of LED strip lights, probably one deep blue and some extra white ones pointing further out to the edges to get more light out there.

I collected some NSW and have also bought a bottle of Puredue RO water from countdown, I premixed this to achieve an SG of 1025 then added to the tank.

At the moment im using the standard HOB filter with a bit of filter floss shoved in to get the "crud" out, ive also got a small bag of tuzine activated carbon in there.

The heater is in and set at 25, not shown in the photo is the small powerhead im using for water-movement, its just a little one im on the look out for something bigger.

I went to the LFS today and bought some live rock, thanks to Craig at the LFS for all the help and info :)

I bought 2.3 kg so thats 10% of the tank size in LR but im going to go bag tomorrow and get another chunk as I think it looks a little bare in there.

Looks like a large snail on one chunk of rock and a bunch of little ones (around 15) im not sure what else has hitched a ride, will give it some time and see what comes out!

No sand yet, im waiting for the crud to settle so I can vacuum it up, im then going to buy some coral sand to lay a good base in the tank.

I do have spare silica sand at home but advice from Craig is to not go for silica sand as that may encourage diatoms?

Enough talking, photos time!

photo14ag.jpg

photo24sb.jpg

Next steps are to let things settle in this week, get a bit more rock in there then next weekend ill take a water sample, make sure things are on track... If Im showing ammonia or nitrite ill leave it to settle, if im showing nothing ill introduce some ammonia to the tank to kick it off.

once all levels settle down and im 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite with a little nitrate then it will be coral time.. or can i add a hardy soft coral while its cycling in?

Cheers

Sam

Understood, ill keep waiting till cycle looks good.

Looks like the LR I picked up has a few small aptasia on it grrrr... so ill have to look into getting rid of that, i see some people use a chemical and inject it into the mouth, others suggest boiling RO water, others suggest either a copperband or peppermint shimp... not sure what way ill go.

There were also some snails and a few tiny little invert looking things that skim around on the tank floor that hitched a ride, from what I understand they are all good though.

The heat stayed nice and stable at 25 all weekend so im pretty happy with that but ill still be getting a backup heater just incase.

Reading more regarding silica sand its really not a good idea so ill be getting some crushed croal sand this week to lay a nice base in the tank :D

Ahhh wise thinking dude! ive got a gas soldering iron with blowtorch attachment that would be spot on as i can contain the burn area nicely... thanks for the suggestion.

Ive spotted 3 small ones so ill burn all the little suckers and hope they die off!

Picking up another bit of LR on the way home tonight, ill try score a few extra snails or similar :D

Alright so Ive just put the tank back together after taking out my LR to torch the Aiptasia!

Ive re-arranged the rock now, what are your thoughts.

I also noticed a few of the LED's have died already in my replacement bulbs, Ill email the company I bought them from, I hope this wont be an ongoing issue

Rockscape

photo13tr.jpg

From the top down

photo32zb.jpg

Mr Turbo Snail

photo23gl.jpg

This is my lighting issue.. you can see it best in the reflection of the LED's

The left

photo41w.jpg

and the right, its missing about 6 LED's. 4 from the middle and 2 in the outer ring

photo33ux.jpg

I also noticed a few of the LED's have died already in my replacement bulbs, Ill email the company I bought them from, I hope this wont be an ongoing issue

Did you get them from the place I mentioned in my thread?

Have you protected them from the water / water vapor?

Did you get them from the place I mentioned in my thread?

Have you protected them from the water / water vapor?

Double yes...

Yeah i got the LED's from CM LED

And yes I made a perspex lid for the tank opening that protected the globes from evap

Alright, tank has been running for 2 weeks now, I think im in the middle of a minicycle... ammonia is 0 but small trace of nitrite and nitrate.

Im loosing a small amount of water to evap, around 100ml/week and my SG went up to about 1026 but adding RO water and its back to 1025.

Apisasia seems to have come back so the LR will be coming back out this week for some more gas burner action.

I have a waterflow question.

Currently I have a small power head in the tank, its the pump end of a small filter and is rated at 200l/h this is just shy of 10x the tank volume every hour.

from reading online we really want a minimum of 10x the tank volume per hour to better simulate the natural environment.

Ive recently got my mitts on a sunsun waver 2000, this is "rated" at 2000l/h so that works out to exactly 83.3 times the tank volume every hour.

Is this too much and going to cause unwanted damage to the coral and fish that will call my tank home?

I have a waterflow question.

Currently I have a small power head in the tank, its the pump end of a small filter and is rated at 200l/h this is just shy of 10x the tank volume every hour.

from reading online we really want a minimum of 10x the tank volume per hour to better simulate the natural environment.

Ive recently got my mitts on a sunsun waver 2000, this is "rated" at 2000l/h so that works out to exactly 83.3 times the tank volume every hour.

Is this too much and going to cause unwanted damage to the coral and fish that will call my tank home?

I don't think 83 times would be too much if you can distribute it well. The problem is that you probably can't, not easily anyway. You'll end up with a single strong jet where you want a lot of diffuse flow everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so Ive got a 600l/h in the mail on its way it should arrive tomorrow.

I also added some livestock yesterday, my first Coral and fish.

The Zoa is just small covering a bit of rock but ive placed it in there under good light

The Clown is a Clarkii, around 3.5 cm long so still small

photo2qkg.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So i know im pretty new to everything marine, I appear to be learning the hard way... it looks like my one and only startup coral is a bit sick looking....

this "was" a nicely coloured green zoa, can anyone suggest whats happening to it?

have I got insufficient light or bad water?

Im doing 20% water changes once a week due to only having stock filter running on this tank. am using NSW

zoas.jpg

as you can see it has some weird white looking spots on each head...

the heads all open each morning when the lights come on and close at night so all active just not looking well

those came from the pet center yeah? i have the same ones the greens and browns mine also have white in the middle but are more green but they change day to day ive noticed and they are quick growing and hardy as all hell i had them on one piece of rock for less than a week and they had already started spreading onto the rock being that i didnt want them there i pulled them off and moved the colony to the sand bed there was one left attached to the rock looked sick as and 2 weeks later is still going great guns haha opens right up and has a huge head on it good starter corals dont worry to much about the white in the center as i said mine have the same and are going mental

thanks Wellydave, yeah you are spot on.. i got them from petcentre in Lower Hutt

Im glad its not just me or something im doing wrong then... I wonder if its going to get any better or any other Zoa's i put in will go the same way.

here are a couple more photos

photo3brs.jpg

photo2cmo.jpg

Is there such a thing at too much light?

At the moment im running the two MR11 LED array's during the day but they switch off at night.

Ive just purchased three small LED arrays 2xblue and 1xwhite to add to the lighting and run some night lighting in the tank...

Ive also bought 2 UV led's i was thinking of adding to make the coral "pop" if you know what i mean... is this a good or bad idea?

what i was planning on is having the following running during the day

2x MR11 LED arrays's as displayed earlier in thread

2x blue LED strip lights

1x white LED strip light

2x UV single LED's for "pop" factor

then between 9pm and 8am it would just be

1x blue LED strip lights

1x white LED strip light

2x UV single LED's for "pop" factor

or should i have less at night, remove the UV's at night or all together?