Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Baby Cichlids

Featured Replies

Hi All,

The tank I am working on at the moment.

Over the last two weeks I have been adding fish. I really didn't know tonnes about cichlids so I have tried to stick to lake Malawi and got babies so I can see them develop into adults, the tank is +/- 350l 5 foot long.

Next job this weekend is to pick up and change over the stands - I am chucking this one out by the way in case anyone in Auckland wants it(1500L x 480W x about 600H but not the best condition, though I do have doors for it) - and changing over the ballasts in the lighting as they are buzzing quite badly. (notice RODI unit I got shipped from the USA still in its box and skimmer which I also don't need)

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7986 ... hlnqui.mp4

*Update

Changed new stand today.

photo4il.th.jpg

photo7hfq.th.jpg

photo8lh.th.jpg

photo9e.th.jpg

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Hi,

I have been having fun today putting in new rocks, someone suggested stone and water world on here and saved me tonnes of money so thanks for that.

I have been having a bit of difficulty over the weekend with the tank becoming cloudy and the coral rock turning pretty much all green, I have a uv sterilizer which is all that is keeping the tank from going bright green. About how long does it usually take to clear up?

Do you think the coral rock will be causing me more problems then it is worth?

Anyway here are some pictures.

20130417141618.jpg

20130417141430.jpg

As you can probably tell I am not yet an expert at arranging tanks etc but I will get to something I like eventually.

Rock pile looks mint. Just be careful with them as a lot of Malawis are diggers, so you may end up with squshed fish, or worse cracked glass.

  • Author
Rock pile looks mint. Just be careful with them as a lot of Malawis are diggers, so you may end up with squshed fish, or worse cracked glass.

Thanks for the advice, I hope it is stable enough! These fish are only tiny at the moment so hopefully will not be able to cause too much mischief.

I have heard the Blue haps which look like electric yellows can cause problems with them, is that true do you know?

Siliconing them together can help stability, but can cause rather heavy issues come removing time.

I cant think of a blue hap that looks like an E yellow and I cant remember if my fryeri hap did much digging or not. But as a general rule I found most Malawis to dig, or rearange sand to their own liking.

  • Author
Siliconing them together can help stability, but can cause rather heavy issues come removing time.

I cant think of a blue hap that looks like an E yellow and I cant remember if my fryeri hap did much digging or not. But as a general rule I found most Malawis to dig, or rearange sand to their own liking.

Fryeri was what I meant sorry, I really want to get some. I have noticed that already! Its algood, they can add their personality to the layout.

I will silicon the rocks once I have a good layout.

  • Author
parctially burying your bottom rocks in the sand will help stop the rocks from tumbling if the fish do decide to dig round the bottom of your pile

I did that to an extent but thought a bit of sand underneath would help spread the weight over the glass

My fryeri do some digging but not nearly as much as my E Yellows they will always rearrange the tank to how they want it, but hey, they are the ones living in there not me :D

I bury my rocks very close to the bottom of the tank, probably unnecessarily I also put a layer of silicon on the bottom of the bottom rocks as an added precaution.

  • Author
My fryeri do some digging but not nearly as much as my E Yellows they will always rearrange the tank to how they want it, but hey, they are the ones living in there not me :D

I bury my rocks very close to the bottom of the tank, probably unnecessarily I also put a layer of silicon on the bottom of the bottom rocks as an added precaution.

Silicon on the bottom of the base rocks is a really good idea I hadn't considered, thanks for that!

My fryeri do some digging but not nearly as much as my E Yellows they will always rearrange the tank to how they want it, but hey, they are the ones living in there not me :D

I bury my rocks very close to the bottom of the tank, probably unnecessarily I also put a layer of silicon on the bottom of the bottom rocks as an added precaution.

Everyone has some old undergravel filter plates laying around, don't they? :) Stack the rocks on them.

Never had an undergravel filter sorry!

Neither have I. But I still have those stupid plates in piles of junk everywhere.

undergravel plates is a good idea, but I've never had one either and I too live in a little one bedroom flat so can't keep everything that "might come in handy sometime", even if I want too lol Silicon is a must have lying around.

i wish i had a small house so i had to throw stuff out.

instead i have literally tons of crap which i don't even know what is in it. i know i have those undergravel filter things somewhere but i don't have a spare month to look for them

We don't have a big house. But every time I'd get a fishtank or some gear second hand I'd end up with more of those stupid filter plates.

  • Author
tank looks sweet, what fish have you got so far?

Honestly I bought a bunch of different fry in varying amounts according to breeders recommendations. When all their colours come out etc I will be able to go through and name them all.

I know there are 6 electric yellows, 2 demasoni, 1 Red Peacock, 1 Girraffe looking one, about 4 of the Mbuna rock dwellers who should turn black and blue like one of them is, four blue body yellow fins which I forget the name just now, and a couple of others which are small, tubular and have black horizontal lines down their otherwise white bodies.

Any help from a cichlid expert with their actual names would be awesome.

Eventually they will be too big for this tank but my plan at the moment is for something around 1000 litres in my showroom which they can move into in time.

Some of the electric yellows have white under their chins which I am not too sure about, is it a different breed or a sign of a lower heirarchy in the tank?

  • Author
i wish i had a small house so i had to throw stuff out.

instead i have literally tons of crap which i don't even know what is in it. i know i have those undergravel filter things somewhere but i don't have a spare month to look for them

I envy you

from your description an vid it looks like you have some auratus in there, keep an eye on them they are super aggro and i would look at getting around 15 more dems as these guys need to be in big colonies to spread the aggression. They are super aggressive amongst them selves and your 2 will prob become 1. Maybe some red top ice blues, i think i can see 1 at the end of the vid. You should be fine with theses if they are still juvies but as they get bigger your probs will start. I would suggest going with a hap/peacock tank or getting rid of them and going all mbuna, all 3 together is generally considered carnage.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.