Finally had time to breed

rcon021

Hi

No i have not noticed that behaviour in my fish. But i have noticed this within the synos when the host male starts getting ready to breed.

I was watching them spawn and it seemed like the synos were releasing a lot more eggs than what i was stripping out of the holding female. I saw as much as 7 eggs being released by the syno female.

The syno eggs hatch within 2-3 days, where as the cichlids hatch after 6 days-depending on the species. If you want more synos to survive you should strip the female a lot earlier and tumble the eggs.

Cheers for the reply.

Not too perturbed about increasing syno production. Getting 15-20 per breeding. I just found it interesting that I was able to get cichlids and synos from the same female. She must feel the change and spit them out before they can mess with too many cichlid eggs. She is a champion.

Never really been a fan of egg tumblers. I prefer the natural method.

Do you notice variances in sizes in artificially hatched fry?

I don’t usually strip my peacocks or tropheus.

I stripped the syno host because i wanted to see what was happening and if it had been successful.

I used electric yellow as host and i feel that their eggs are a little larger than syno eggs and that’s probably why the female keeps missing the eggs.

Both in the past and now i have got both cichlid and syno fry.