Project HMPK

Trilobite

I'm really pleased with how my babies are turning out. Their grandfather was a hm and grand mother was traditional pk.

I'm up to F2 now and they are starting to take the shape of a true hmpk :bggrn:

Male 4 in particular has amazingly straight edges considering 2 generations back were round tailed pk. I have a matching female who also has very straight edges so I cant wait until they become big enough to breed.

I think male 1 has the best colour and eventually I hope to get that colour into some sharper finnage.

Im not a fan of their dorsals at the moment as they look too pointy and toplines could be worked on a bit more but other than that Im quite impressed with how they turned out

picture.php?albumid=5376&pictureid=38562

picture.php?albumid=5376&pictureid=38586

picture.php?albumid=5376&pictureid=38594

picture.php?albumid=5376&pictureid=38578

I also got one little mutant, with a spike at the front of the anal fin :o

picture.php?albumid=5376&pictureid=38618

Im so excited for F3 :nilly:

Yeah their colours were a pleasant surprise considering their father was blue and mother was dark body red lol so I wasnt expecting much colourwise.

Yip male 1 is my avatar pic.

Nice! I know which bloodlines I got off you haha. Your first male would look even better if the black colours were deeper.

Yeah he never got as dark as your blue guy which is a shame and I didn't get any black girls so I think Ill breed him to a copper female (a sister of your copper girl) from my other line whos mother was black to hopefully darken up his babies. But her finnage isnt as good as her blue sisters so I cant decide whether to go for 100% coppers or a chance of coppers with better fins....

But then again I have male 4 and good fems to keep a line of nice fins and maybe eventually I can cross the colour into the fins... :nilly: Arrg too many options

I just did a huge cull so have cleared up room for a few new spawns :thup: Im quite surprised that I havent killed my microworms yet, usually I can only keep them going for a few weeks.

I hear there are plenty in africa... :digH:

:rolfl: I dont think theyd let me take one

Nice fish, they are tempting me to get into keeping Siamese fighters....

I think you should probably do it!

Set up a spawn with male 1 and a blue half sibling. :happy2: They cant figure out how to wrap properly

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Small update :D

I had a couple of x factors with messed scales in this spawn unfortunately.

But I found one promising little copper male. Theres also a few black coppers but so far they look like girls.

945721_618315078200796_17142073_n.jpg

270211_618315588200745_990102706_n.jpg

picture.php?albumid=5376&pictureid=73522

This colour is growing on me, the copper on their light bodies makes them so shiny

DSC_7406_zps258bff4d.jpg

And some little marbles

picture.php?albumid=5376&pictureid=71602

• 1 month later...

Got a few promising black copper females :D

DSC_0641_zps2641dbc0.jpg

DSC_0579_zpsdf7dcad9.jpg

DSC_0719_zps9141dc1a.jpg

And a few coppers with red loss which is exactly what I need. This one has pretty decent branching too, this line tends to give the female weak branching but Im glad theres a few in this spawn who escaped the pattern

DSC_0754_zps13468b8a.jpg

Also found a few black copper males,

this one has just been jarred, getting better branching tan his father too. Fsather was only 2 ray at that age but this guy is 4

DSC_0817_zpse8d01774.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

My fave male so far from this spawn. Hes uber aggressive and flares at me just for looking at him

DSC_1590_zps943aa0ec.jpg

DSC_1611_zpsceb5d850.jpg

The girls are starting to show their potential too

DSC_0963_zps91b8fb2b.jpg

Heres their family tree, I think theyve reached the point where they can safely be called hmpk. Hardest thing is still trying to sharpen up the tail though, still too round for my liking...

Pretty much sums up the need for good quality females though, adding a VT or trad PK (which is what nz usually gets in) to a HM or HMPK will take generations to get sharp tails back and unfortunately I see VT being sold as HM on trademe all the time, which would no doubt mess up a poor newbie breeders HM line for endless generations

phmpk_zpsf3298d33.jpg