Wanting to build a glass tank

bart687

I'm wanting to build a glasstank (2000 litres) I know that the most expensive part would be the glass but I have not seen in the DIY Section anyone asking or saying how they got on with their tank or tanks.

The other hard point is with not having a club here in Nelson with any advice can be a pain, The tank will be for my new discus E.T.C.

Anybody got advise?

Thanks for that Caryl, But here in Nelso your looking at $3000 just for a medium, Nelson is like Auckland at the moment with glass people.

My dimensions are three foot length and two foot width with height very much like the two foot and a half

From Craig

Gee everyone I was getting suggestions from (pros) well I don't know about you misnoma. I have'nt got the tank yet :evil:

If you were thinking liters well you were wrong. the measurments I was looking at were 1150x 500mmx 500mm. Now does that help you? and can you understand that Smiths glass will make me one that size for the price I gave before, remember though I have not got the tank as I have the plans and would like to know if any member has gone through been charged the triple amount,(not incl G.S.T) ?

sorry they don't sell second hand glass here in Nelson. Nelsons smith glass is very srict on their glass as a person that did the same thing built her tank out of second glass same size and fulled it, had poly on the bottom of it plus a cabnet next thing it exploded as with the temputure, it all goes with the glue they use. And they woulnd'nt replace it so no way I don't won't my tank to be like this members.

Not sure, but get a quote for the new tank. Then get a price for Peter at Port Nicholson Glass to make it in Wellington and deliver it. He delivers tanks all over the country, I think you will be plesently surprised at how reasonable his prices are and how helpful he can be.

Tell him Mark in Wellington put you onto him and I am sure he will help if he can.

Pies (Mark)

thanks yous I don't know what I would do with out you, as it is tough now trying to explain to the glass makers that I want this for a aquiram Duh, as if these peopl don't how to make a blmin rectangle shape. I am possitive that I learnt this at college. I was told to make my own but the chap that you have recommended Pies I will try thank - you and the rest of you's.

good suggestion, but the thing is getting the tank over the straight as I guess that he would have a charge on that. Nothings free like it used to be. And I bet errols ears are burning by now because he said that he was going to build me one so Errold if you are online I'm talking about you

Building a 2000 litre tank is a big deal. Make sure all your jigs a square and you have approx 4 tubes of silicone on hand. I would also use iceblock sticks or similar to keep the glass off the glass.

Good luck, love to see some pics.

Pies

I could'nt see your reef Pies. As said in nelson you have to learn to do things yourself although you suggested that chap, four of us have had to make our own tanks one person is persisting to have Smiths glass as we just had a genral meeting with the consumers tem came down but will not be on tv till July as we have had rude reply's from them and other glass cutters makers. so if anybody is having the same problem consumers instuded. but never mind I cannot se my fish making it into this new tank I may have to put them into the pet shops tanks. Also It costs dimonds to get a tank across the straight or flowen.

? I couldn't understand what your were talking about at all? Being on TV? Rude glass makers?

Did you acutally enquire on a price for delivery? I doubt its diamons, infact I suspect it would be possible for under $300.00. $300.00 is a fraction of the cost of making a big mistake building a 2000 litre tank, which, in all fairness is quite large and holes quite a lot of water. An abitious first project. I built my first marine tank, 740 litre, NEVER again it was too much of a hastle.

BTW I lived in nelson for almost 20 years.

Pies

Thanks for your help but it's getting the agreement from links. As I live in Nelson so the tank would have to be sent from Wellington to Picton to Nelson by truck and who knows what would happen on the way over but thanks

Ok you pro's it is time English about the tank does 6 foot sound english? to you bods? (length) (width) 3 (Foot) ( Height) 34 cm. far out you's. The discus club that is starting up here in Nelson understands I just rang and got the correct measurements and the sec laughed.