Help what should I do?

Bobyn

My friend bought a fish from a well known shop in the NI and paid $35 for shipping to Chch. It arrived with only a bag of water to keep it warm rather than a heat pack and absolutely covered in white spot. The water the fish was in and the other bag of water were stone cold.

When we called the store they said that is how they ship fish always and there are no garantees. However the bag water and the fish water are of course going to cool at the same rate. I understand shipping live fish is at buyers risk but I feel a heat pack should have been used and am pretty sure was included in the cost of shipping, as she bought another fish from a different store and paid the same shipping and it arrived with a heat pack. It looks like after 2 weeks of treatment the fish is going to die and it was very expensive.

Is there anything we can do as we believe the fish got ill as a result of the water being too cold?

And how does everyone treat white spot in marines?

I agree with you, there should of been a heat pack included! That is very poor on their part and I would be disputing their claim that they always send tropical fish of any sort that way!

For the white spot my advice is don't do anything! White spot on marines is different to fresh water fish and in my experience it's best to do nothing and keep the fish as less stressed as possible!

Do you have another tank to put the fish in so the white spot doesn't spread to you other fish?

If it gets really bad then you can Google how to do a fresh water dip but trust me, if it's not affecting the fishes behavior then don't do anything to treat it and just keep the fish happy, it will eventually go away!

I agree with you, there should of been a heat pack included! That is very poor on their part and I would be disputing their claim that they always send tropical fish of any sort that way!

For the white spot my advice is don't do anything! White spot on marines is different to fresh water fish and in my experience it's best to do nothing and keep the fish as less stressed as possible!

Do you have another tank to put the fish in so the white spot doesn't spread to you other fish?

If it gets really bad then you can Google how to do a fresh water dip but trust me, if it's not affecting the fishes behavior then don't do anything to treat it and just keep the fish happy, it will eventually go away!

One thing you could do Bobyn isname the lfs who shipped the fish that way :dnc1: :cry1:

im pretty shure i know the place you are refering to they are from ak and i got some frags and snails sent to wellington from them they used the same method and as you say the bags were stone cold when they arrived here to, not to mention not one of the frags i recieved looked anything like the photos they advertised them with and one of the frags had been lying face down in the bag flattening most of the polips and it is the only frag that is still yet to open up the flattened polips have since died off and ive gone from a frag with around 20 - 30 down to a frag of around 5 polips that are yet to open but they do look like they are trying to so hopefully they will as it was my favourite of the 3 i purchased :env: :an!gry &c:ry

I think I got some fish from the same place, Arrived with cold bags of water. 1 of the 5 fish survived.

I don't think I will buy fish from there again, Which is a shame because they have a good selection.

Corals seem to be fine shipped this way though, just have to acclimate them a lil longer.

Why are you not willing to provied a name of the company?

I would hate to buy something from a shop and find out it came the same way, when your recomendation would of stopped me instantly.

:iag: as long as you stick to the facts there is no risk in naming the shop - who knows, it might just help convince them that improvement is required?

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been informed that people have been going into Hollywoods saying it was them that did this. Id just like to make it very clear that it was NOT Hollywoods. I have had nothing but great service from the guys at Hollywoods and their shipping to Chch has always been on time and well packaged.

If people are really concerned feel free to pm me but I cant post who it was on a public forum.

Thanks for the advice from everyone.