Water Conditioner

nzfishkeeper

What does everyone here use as a dechlorinator/water Conditioner?

I have been using Tetra Aquasafe plus, which I have found great but it is nearing the bottom of my bottle.

I priced up the Aquasafe which is $37.95 for a 500ml bottle which is quite pricey so I am looking to see what others recommend at a decent price.

You will probably get heaps of responses but one thing to bear in mind with the price is that while one brand in a 500ml bottle may treat say 5000 litres another brand in a 500ml bottle might treat 9000 litres so it might, in the long run, be more economical to pay a higher amount for a bottle that will go further. :o

:gpo2: that's exactly what I am doing as the Axolotl do not endure any kind of water conditioner at all as it does harm them... (it is not standing in the sun but the bubbler is running non stop and every time I take some water out I just refill it)

me too - for my bugs pond top up and black worms I leave a bucket with no additives out overnight and use that.

When there is rain I use rain water with no additives for my rasboras and CPDs.

For tap water I used to use API Stresscoat but this time around have switched to Prime, and I use barely any as it is more concentrated and my tanks are small. I don't know if one does a better job than another.

PR7T5T.jpg 5K7RB9.jpg X99A8X.jpg 25FP35.jpg QTPH7.jpg

My water conditioner:

100l drum with selfmade level indicator. Cut a lid out of the top and attach hinges; lid helps to keep humidity down. Use old juice bottle and drill holes in bottom & big hole for pipe in lid. Fill with stones, activated charcoal, oyster shells and a bit of the white filter stuff on top to keep erverything in place. Insert pipe in lid, add a air stone and some airline and hook it up to your airpump. The air takes water up the pipe and it starts circulating through the bottle & drum. On it's way it flows through the filter media and get's rid of chlorine + gets a bit harder in my case. I also add 1 teaspoon of salt per 10l (thats why I need the level indicator). If I do waterchanges I use the cheap submersible pump that lives in the drum, a few meters of hose & a waterer from the warehouse. I then re-fill the drum with tap water and by the time the next waterchange is due the water is free of chlorine, the salt is well disolved and the water has the same temperature as the air = same temperature as the tanks...

Cheers,

JaSa

PR7T5T.jpg 5K7RB9.jpg X99A8X.jpg 25FP35.jpg QTPH7.jpg

My water conditioner:

100l drum with selfmade level indicator. Cut a lid out of the top and attach hinges; lid helps to keep humidity down. Use old juice bottle and drill holes in bottom & big hole for pipe in lid. Fill with stones, activated charcoal, oyster shells and a bit of the white filter stuff on top to keep erverything in place. Insert pipe in lid, add a air stone and some airline and hook it up to your airpump. The air takes water up the pipe and it starts circulating through the bottle & drum. On it's way it flows through the filter media and get's rid of chlorine + gets a bit harder in my case. I also add 1 teaspoon of salt per 10l (thats why I need the level indicator). If I do waterchanges I use the cheap submersible pump that lives in the drum, a few meters of hose & a waterer from the warehouse. I then re-fill the drum with tap water and by the time the next waterchange is due the water is free of chlorine, the salt is well disolved and the water has the same temperature as the air = same temperature as the tanks...

Cheers,

JaSa

Great little setup you have there, may have to look into setting up a similar setup myself,

where did you get the drum?

where did you get the drum?

RD1, Wrightsons, Farmlands, ... and pick up some clear, non-toxic tube while you are there. Much more flexible + thicker then garden hose. You will get drums for a $5 donation for the social club. Acid drums are easier to clean then drums with teatspray. Make sure you rinse 3-4 times and then let water sit in the drum for a few days and rinse again. I would go for a 200l drum now which would safe me filling up all the time...

JaSa

• 2 months later...

+1, it's nice and powerful

Hmmm, At those dosages and using the largest bottles(on HFF's website) assuming those are the cheapest per volume...

Seachem Prime 250ml bottle costs $34.30 to treat 10,000 Liters making it .34 cents per liter

API Stresscoat 1.89L costs $57.50 to treat 15,140 Liters making it .38 cents per liter.

So, pretty much the same price but stresscoat claims to be good for the whole replacing the slime coat and stress thing.

I

Hmmm, At those dosages and using the largest bottles(on HFF's website) assuming those are the cheapest per volume...

Seachem Prime 250ml bottle costs $34.30 to treat 10,000 Liters making it .34 cents per liter

API Stresscoat 1.89L costs $57.50 to treat 15,140 Liters making it .38 cents per liter.

So, pretty much the same price but stresscoat claims to be good for the whole replacing the slime coat and stress thing.

So if I have a UV purifier running do I need to treat tap water when doing small water changes (up to 20%)?

Copied from a previous post & edited:

When you add chlorine to water you get hypochlorous acid which reacts with nitrogen compounds like ammonia,urea and the amines (in all proteins) and forms monochloramine. When you add more chlorine you get dichloramine and even more you get trichloramine. All these (and other reactions) form part of the "chlorine demand" in the water. You cannot get free available chlorine until this "chlorine demand" is satisfied. Therefore when the reaction is pushed towards trichloramine there will be virtually no monochloramine present. In some states in the US they treat the water with monochloramine (made by reacting chlorine with ammonia) because chlorine will react with other impurities in the water and form some compounds that are not so nice (such as acetone) where as monochloramine will not. Monochloramine is not as effective in treating water as chlorine which is used in NZ but is still a strong oxidising agent.

When people complain that the chlorine in a swimming pool is too strong and it is burning their eyes the problem usually is that the free available chlorine has been used up by contaminants in the water (such as urea) and this has pushed the chloramines back towards the monochloramine and this is what is burning their eyes. The problem is fixed by adding more chlorine.

When you allow water to stand or aerate it to get rid of the chlorine the chloramines all move back to monochloramine and this will react with your fish the same as an under chlorinated swimming pool will with your eyes.

Chlorine and all chloramines can be converted to more harmless chemicals with the addition of sodium thiosulphate which is the active ingredient you are buying from the petshop with dechlorinating products.

Drinking water will contain various impurites that add to the chlorine demand and will form chloramines and other compounds. Ammonia is a bi product of the reaction when adding thiosulphate to chlorinated water. Chlorine only is used to sanitize water supplies in NZ and when you add chlorine you will always get chloramines unless you use distilled water.

Alan NZKA 56