Skimmers, lighting, live rock and substrate

Ymir

I have decided to setup a marine tank. I keep African cichlids but I am quite tired of trying to find good bloodlines. Yes, there are some very good lines here but compared to the variety overseas, NZ is just too limiting and what people claim can be a quite interesting as well. Even when good bloodlines make it into the country, trying to locate them is :an!gry, if you are not lucky or quick enough to get them. For me a prime example is, I have spent 5 months trying to hunt out some Neolamprologus ocellatus, and the only ones I have found are at a pet store for $60 each. To get a breeding pair I would have to spend in the region of $300-600 dallors. To be honest I would rather setup a marine tank, if I am going to spend that type of money on a fish two years ago which was $20 each or fry sold on here for $5. Rant over!

I am going to get a 600 litre tank (1200x700x700) and a 200 litre sump (900x600x400) built. I am looking at a Deltec SC 1455 Internal protein skimmer. Deltec say that it is suitable for a tank up to 1000 litres.

I am at going down the path of a coral reef tank with the odd fish and quite a few inverts for a year or two. Once I am feel I am ready, I will look at getting seahorses, this is the ultimate goal. Yes, I realise I am going to have to be very careful about what corals to select and what inverts as well. I have heard of crabs eating seahorses :o

I know that deltec skimmers are a very well regarded brand. I don't want to have to upgrade to another skimmer when I decide to get the seahorses. Would the SC1455 be suitable for what I am planning in the long run or should I look at getting the next size up?

What type of lighting unit do peopple recommend for a 700mm deep tank? I would like to use either T5HO or LEDS. Within reason, price is not a problem. I will just have to save up my pennys, just means It will delay getting the tank setup.

I live in Wellington. Where is the best place to obtain live rock from in the wellington region? What do people recommend as a good substrate for a coral reef tank, ? I realise this will probably be a personal preference thing but if people have a really good reason to go for a particular substrate I would like to know their reasoning.

Thanks

Malcolm

You said your tank is 2000 x 700 x 700, wouldn't that be 900+ liters? unless you are taking into account the rock and substrate?

I am setting up my marine tank soon too. If I was you I would go for LEDs as they seem to be the way marine tank lighting is heading at the moment. I want LEDs but need to save up for them so in the mean time I will be using the MHs and T5HO that I already have.

If you are worried about the skimmer being to small then go for bigger then you will never have to upgrade and you will save money that way.

I haven't seen seahorses in a reef tank before and only ever on their own as LA said.

I am going to use coral sand and rubble for my substrate, given to me by a retired reefer so I know it will be perfect.

i dont know a hell of alot about lighting or skimmers but im setting up a nano reef at the moment and i got all my live rock from the pet center in lower hutt and its full of all sorts of little critters and got quite a few hitch hikers turbo snails and a starfish and also a little mushroom coral i think its around $15 a kg but im shure if your getting a fair bit there'll be a discount involved haha. as for lighting im going to be using leds just currently saving my coins but on a tank your size i have no idea what would be good. :slfg: cant wait to see this materialize will be watching your progress closely :spop:

I see that. it was a typo in the original post that said 200x70x70 but changed to what it is now

Sorry off topic :oops:

If you can't find any live rock then just buy some dead rock. It is cheaper and if you make it the first thing you buy then you can get it curing in a drum and by the time you have everything to set the tank up, it will be cured enough to make a quick start and no long waiting is needed.

This is what I am doing. I have been curing all my dead rock since mid November and I am still setting up my tank.