January 11, 201313 yr comment_515703 Hi guys, do you know if siamese algae eaters are compatible with red tail sharks? Thanks. Report
January 11, 201313 yr comment_515711 mine survived quite happily in a african cichlid tank so i personally don't see a problem (someone correct me if i'm wrong) as long as there isn't a huge difference in size Report
January 11, 201313 yr comment_515712 I have kept them together as well. the scraped all the time but was nothing more than I get from africans. the tank was plenty big enough for heaps of caves so there was always a place to retreat. I used to love watching the Algae eater get ready to pounce, reminded me of a cat hunting a bird :slfg: Report
January 11, 201313 yr Author comment_515740 would it be better if I buy them at the same time and grow them up together? Report
January 11, 201313 yr comment_515744 I suspect a lot would depend on the size of the aquarium and the age of the fishes, especially the shark. Report
January 12, 201313 yr comment_515774 It isn't the size of the fish but their behaviour once they reach sexual maturity. Many fish will live happily together until, suddenly, all hell breaks loose! Report
January 12, 201313 yr Author comment_515790 Probably that, or they'll grow up together and be best friends like my Adolfoi cories. Report
January 12, 201313 yr comment_515792 Corys have that in there nature, not so much with the algae eater and shark, my tank was 5 foot 700 Ltr. I wouldnt risk it in a 125Ltr Report
January 12, 201313 yr comment_515799 Algae eater in 215 tank killed all arrivals until i realised he was the culprit..... Report
January 12, 201313 yr comment_515805 I have a SAE (8cm?) in my 5ft and added a red tailed black shark (4cm) about 5 weeks ago. No attention has been paid by the SAE to the shark - on the other hand the SAE insists that all the food in the tank belongs to it and chases all the other fish away from the food area. Tank floor is pretty full of plants though. Report
January 12, 201313 yr comment_515806 " They should not be kept with Red-tailed Sharks (Epalzeorhynchus bicolor) unless the aquarium is large and well planted, because that species is very aggressive towards all its relatives. " http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/ Reading some of the comments above was a bit of a surprise, as the four I have in my 450 community are very placid fish. They are active, but don't go looking for trouble. Report
January 12, 201313 yr comment_515807 125ltrs is not enough to keep either of those species in, especially together. Better off getting some otocinclus cats in my opinion. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.