Dungeons & Dragons Themed Tank

TenyTinyKaz

I have been watching the series Tanked on Discovery Channel and my partner has got into watching it with me. He has now conceeded that he would like a themed tank (break through at last! :slfg:). I have grabbed onto this opportunity to get him involved in fish keeping and I have never tried to set up an artificially themed tank so should be an interesting challange for me too :D.

The theme for the tank will be a dungeons & dragons type theme. The tank I have available is 350mm x 350mm x 620mm and holds approximately 60L. As far as decorations and stocking goes I'm thinking of:

Background: The tank is tall and sits in the corner of a room so I was thinking of painting the two walls black.

Substrate: Sand I would like this to be a dark gray to black if possible but I have only seen black pebbles not sand, does anyone know if I can get this and if so where?

Decorations: I would like a large but tall dark grey castle for the centre of the tank, this will be the main piece. I have seen some castle ornaments for sale on TradeMe but most of these are too small or are longer than I would like and more suited to a longer aquarium. If anyone knows of someone who regularly sells ornaments or they can be ordered from it would be much appreciated.

I would love to have a volcano bubbler in there complete with orange lighting this only needs to be small but again, not sure where to find it.

I would also like to have several small (only 5-10cm) skulls either skattered around the bottom of the tank or piled up, again not sure where to find these.

I'm not convinced on some of these decorations and would welcome some more ideas.

Stocking: So far I'm thinking approx 5 Kuhlie Loaches, these will be like lava monsters spawned from the volcano and the dark wizards evil spells, approx 8 glass catfish which make for an excellent army of skeletons. Now I just need one or two fish to be the centre of the tank, I was thinking two black angels would make excellent dark lords in thier flowing black capes, but I'm not feeling totaly convinced by this, since there is already so much black in the tank maybe I should go with something totally different. If I didn't have the angels I might also look at getting approx 12 glow light tetras but think I will stay away from these fin nippers. Any suggestions on decoration or stocking would be much much appreciated :) I have a chance to really get my man interested in this most awesome hobby and incidentally increasing the amount of tanks I will be allowed to keep :wink:

That sounds like a cool idea for a tank. Have you tryed trademe for black sand? Also Kens-fish.com has lots of ornamints and cool stuff like that, that you often dont see about.

Thanks Camtang, really don't know why I hadn't already looked for the sand on TradeMe but yes there it is :D

Also really like the look of some of the skulls on kensfish.com, they have loads of sunken ships but no castles, still need to find one I like.

If you see the black sand from Petstuff101, it's very very fine gravel, of the 'midnight' variety, not 'sand' strictly. The normal midnight fine gravel looks really good (I've got it) but I'm not sure on the suitability of even fine gravel for fish with barbs like the khuli loaches. They would try to burrow as it would be light but I suspect it could be much rougher on them than sand. Since the theme is what counts most in this case, maybe you could think about getting another eye catching fish and still get the black gravel?

If you see the black sand from Petstuff101, it's very very fine gravel, of the 'midnight' variety, not 'sand' strictly. The normal midnight fine gravel looks really good (I've got it) but I'm not sure on the suitability of even fine gravel for fish with barbs like the khuli loaches. They would try to burrow as it would be light but I suspect it could be much rougher on them than sand. Since the theme is what counts most in this case, maybe you could think about getting another eye catching fish and still get the black gravel?

Thanks Sophia, although the theme is the most important it should in no way impact negatively on it's inhabitants. The black sand that I looked at on TradeMe was a fine sand and certainly not gravely at all.

oooh, maybe a in tank accent light under the castle?

That could be super cool, do you know where I might find one of these?

I have kept kuhli loaches successfully many times with fine gravel over the years. I was keeping them well before silica sand was even used in tropical tanks.

Currently have 5 in a 4 foot tank with small brightwater gravel and I see them everyday. They come out to feed everynight and are growing rapidly and very happy.

I would think that silica sand would be rougher than fine gravel on their bodies.

My thoughts anyway :)

They have confirmed it is an extremely fine gravel so I thought I would let you know in case it will impact your choices. Others may have used it with no problems, who knows.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =549666007

I am confused by thier answer to your question, to me it read to say that it is a sand "as oposed to a gravel"?

A submersible light like this one. Never used one but would look cool under a decoration in the kind of tank you are creating.

Depends on how much you want to spend though

OMG so freaking cool! I don't want to spend too much but will be picking up each bit over a few months so that I can spend more than if I rushed it.

Black Ghost knife?

Yea I did think of that, but tank is way to small and I'm guessing they would prefer a longer tank as oposed to the tall one I have.

Still really stuck on what fish to really make the tank, needs to have a bit of attitude (or at least look like it does), maybe something a little unusual hmmmmm......

I am confused by thier answer to your question, to me it read to say that it is a sand "as oposed to a gravel"?

I took it to mean sand as in size rather than in formation, so we understood how small it was. It's midnight gravel that has been crushed or milled to a fine sand.

But anyway :f77: