300 Litre Low tech semi planted build thread

Scarletmonuka

Ok so by providing the funds for my partners new blue tounge lizard (Hagrid) she has given me her 300 Litre Jebo tank and fish (apart from her breeding pair of bristlenoses). I am completely changing her set up and selling the fish in it. It currently holds a breeding colony of Electric yellows (15 fish), a 30 cm BGK and a couple of common Pleco's (sailfin/goldspot/redspot don't know which ones they are). all of which are for sale.

I have just done a big tank clean/water change and change around in there today and once the water clears i will get a pic taken as my starting point for this thread.

I have to decided to try my hand at a low tech semi planted comminty tank. (No co2 a bit of liquid fert dosing) i know the main group of the tank will be 10 young tiger barbs. i was gonna have some odessa barbs with them but have decided that i will just stick with the tiger barbs that way i can have more of other species. i haven't made up my mind totally as what i want to put with them and am completely open to any sugestions... i do however like the idea of a firemouth cichlid (ofcourse again it will be young so it just doesn't munch on the barbs). i also want a pictus catfish (again young) as a bottom dweller. i don't know what it is about them but ever since i've seen at the LFS i've always wanted one, only trouble is they want $74.50 for one.

I think thats about it for the intro to this.

cheers

Oh and yeah substrate will be this fine brownish gravel that can be got from the LFS

So i guess its time to update and add some photo's. i believe i have come up with my final stock list. i have decided to go with 8 tiger barbs instead of 10. am going to put two firemouth cichlids with them an albino rainbow shark and i pictus catfish. i currently have one common plec that is not on trademe (bout 10 cm) that i am debating weather or not to keep. the main reason for not keeping it will just be the size it will get to and having the room to have it with what i want to do with drift wood. does anyone have any sugestions for a smallish pleco that isn't bristle nose that i could have in this 1.2 metre tank? and does anyone else see any problems with the combo i am planning on stocking in here?

the electric yellows have been sold and so has the BGK all pending payment. there is a couple of small spare tanks here that can be used to house the common plecs short term once these fish go so i can drain the tank and remove the river rock substrate that katie had in it and get my set up started.

i have decided not to plant this tank. rather i am going to use a fine brownish gravel substrate with 2 or 3 big feature pieces of driftwood coming out of. and sever small pieces of rock poking out of it. I already have my pieces of wood selected and in a bath outside waterlogging.. (will a couple of weeks in there be long enough to do the trick?) once they are done in there it will be down to the cow shed with them to soak for a little bit in 80 degree + water to kill any possible bugs on the wood (oh the joys of working on a dairy farm).

I am currently waiting on a slow ass photobucket to upload a couple of photos to add to this thread.

I think thats about it for now

ok time for some photo's

heres the tank at the moment.

Pic-01092221.jpg

drift wood selection i am going to use.

Pic-01101231a.jpg

Pic-01101231.jpg

and that same driftwood in the bath water logging

Pic-01101249.jpg

So the buyer pulled out of buying the electric yellow colony and after the email i sent him about the BGK i think he will also pull out of buying it. I really kind of hope they do TBH.

Once again can anyone tell me if soaking the driftwood for two weeks will be long enough to water log it?

Hard to say Ian, some wood I have had has taken months to water log, best way is to put some heavy rocks on top of it while it is soaking to make sure it stays fully submerged and keep checking it every few days. Or you can cheat and tie it to some rocks with nylon and put it straight into the tank.

So after a short visit to the river after water level dropped enough this is what i found..

Pic-01111425.jpg

I have come up with a scape of how i want the substrate, wood and rocks to look... at least in my head anyways.. could look completely different infront of me as i am not that much of a creative person... I have however changed my mind once again about plants and decided to have some low growing ones around the rocks and all that (any thoughts of what ones?).. maybe some idian fern growing up at one end. i will have to research more though.

Alas the buyer has pulled out of buying my electric yellows and the BGK so i won't be able to get underway as soon as i had hoped

that is all

So i've been looking around at different plants on the web... all of what has been sugested to me.. problem is there are different varities of each.. i'm just wondering if there is anywhere i can go where i can find what is avaible in nz? like that like to the fish list. Because knowing me i'll find something i absoulutely love the look of and then someone will tell me its actually a noctious weed and i'm not allowed it.. that way i also don't have to pester you people with dopey questions about plants... hehe

so i was in the LFS the other day and they had two small firemouth cichlids in there.... i just couldn't help myself..

Pic-01131554.jpg

what should i name them?

mean while i have some java moss and java fern on its way (big thanks to Caryl) and some twisted val, dwarf sag and featherfin being posted on monday (thanks to livebearerbreeder) have made another couple of purchases on trademe as well.

Meanwhile i still need to move ghostknife, electric yellows and a comman pleco on. :dnc1:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so time for an update.. the breeding colony of electric yellows is finally gone :happy1: :happy2: :wave: . took them up to dunedin to a guy on monday. must say i am really quite dissapointed with dunedin's "biggest pet centre". even more dissapointed with the fish selection at the only place in Oamaru to stock tropical fish... (went up there for a job interview).

Still have mr bgk for sale. tank looks a bit empty at the mo with just two small firemouths, knifey and 4 plecs in it. my albino rainbow shark somehow managed to find its way into katies tank... look nice and plump after a good feed of baby guppy's (that'll teach ya!).

A member has pointed me in the direction of maybe purchacing a red hump earth eater (can't be bothered finding its scientific name) if i can get one i am wondering if an extremely fine gravel substrate will be ok for it? as all the research i have done says sand...

drift wood is still in the bath soaking.. still not waterlogged. am seriously considering moving the bath and lighting a fire under it to boil it.. Why does this make wood sink far more quickly?

i think thats about it for now..

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
is that a metal bath???, build a fire around it :P

So after being sick of waiting for wood to sink i've done this..... surprised how little time it took to get the water to boiling point and how easy it was to keep the bath boiling. it boiled for about an hour and a half. then had to add more water coz the wood was starting to show. so i've left it for the time being for the fire to burn out (yes i'm checking it regularly) and i'll check it in the morning. took a couple of pics on my phone so once i find the cord to plug it into my puter i'll post them

• 2 weeks later...

So I just got katie an ipad and we is trialing how good the camera is. heres a pic of my a couple of fish from it

A41E5D62-66B1-414C-BFDA-BD3A663AF819-507-00000038DCE358D8_zpsca058cab.jpg

not that bad really

Tank looks like crap atm.. doing a big fish shop on thursday.. fish and substrate. so will hopefully be moving the tank and changing things around and planting some plants on monday. wood still hasn't sunk. it won't be the final layout as we will be moving at the end of may to a new farm. will do the proper scape then