Your opinion

livebearer_breeder

Overseas breeders jar their fry from around 9 weeks of age. That is why we often see small bodies and big fins on a lot of imports but that is easily resolved once they are taken home.

The only pond grown betta I have ever seen in NZ were great big obese things. Too big to be much use for anything really.

Is there any proof that these fish hate being in jars? How do we know what a better life for a Betta is?

I wonder if they actually venture out of their small territories that they set up for themselves in the wild, they certainly aren't designed for efficient swimming, even the plakats.

Keep them like this and you find they lose ALOT of the supposed "aggression" towards each other that justify's these practices. This style of breeding is about efficiency and money making

Personally I would never want to breed put aggression in fighters. I want mine to be as mean as possible. If a fighter doesnt flare then I cant see its true beauty, and in my opinion, having the highest quality fish around is useless if you don't even get to see him in his best form.

If it wasnt for jars we would never have the types and quality of Bettas we see today, infact we would be lucky if we even had vt.

actually the VT was produced to provide a better fight to the death experience, if you want to promote the " right way" of producing them then you have to factor in the fact that a large percentage (even today) are produced mainly to fight to the death....

kinda like the very pretty Sharpei's we see around today.....

I'm pretty sure plakats are used for fighting since they are faster and been bred for strength instead of looks. They are also kept in jars and must always be in their peak condition, otherwise they would lose.

I was using the vt example to explain that without a method of raising and housing hundreds of separate individuals we would not be able to have the selection of types that we have today.

I thought the ove wrinkeled sharpei we see today is a result of show breeders breeding for form not function. Much like the english bulldog

Overseas it is not necessarily the tail type which decides which betta fight. It is the aggression, strength of fins and tail rays, and straightness of spine which is looked for in the fighter, however most are standard plakats. Standard plakats are the closest to those which naturally occur in the wild The ones that have been used in NZ for fighting are also chosen this way.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1, its plain cruel

+another 1.

I guess as someone who currently has one tank, I can afford the space of a slightly bigger tank (70L), but my fighter is the happiest I've seen him. Of course, in pet stores they're constantly being moved and have no privacy, but the ones in the smaller tanks never seem to be swimming much. I've noticed the ones in the community tanks tend to swim around more, interacting with their environment. I guess all are different - but I couldn't imagine putting my little guy in a smaller tank. I think they're gorgeous, but I'm not a fan of more "aggressive" fish at all, so that's not a factor for me - if they can live in a community tank for me, it's better (means I can keep my bottom feeders, mid feeders and betta, I think it's a nice layout). Again though, I think it really depends on what purpose you're keeping them for.