Unknown freshwater issue

brett2003

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it could quite possibly be a management issue as well

I'd hope that's unlikely in my case - the affected tank has the same filtration, same food, same water source, very similar stock (from the same three shops, too, actually) same type of substrate, same types of plants etc etc as the other (healthy) tank in our house - if anything, the affected tank has better water chemistry, in fact (lower nitrates and phosphates, more stable pH, due to more regular water changes and testing)

So how do you explain all the fish we've bought that haven't died yet?

I don't follow? Whose fish are we talking about? lol

I'd hope that's unlikely in my case - the affected tank has the same filtration, same food, same water source, very similar stock (from the same three shops, too, actually) same type of substrate, same types of plants etc etc as the other (healthy) tank in our house - if anything, the affected tank has better water chemistry, in fact (lower nitrates and phosphates, more stable pH, due to more regular water changes and testing)

I don't follow? Whose fish are we talking about? lol

Neither do i.

I think we are pretty much being told here (by other members that i can't be bothered quoting too) that we are inept fish keepers, ad being told not to discuss the possibility of links with businesses or other forum members. :dunno:

Brett2003

#!chrunchbang

Sophia

Disgustipated

ilwis

samH

have all had issues here. we are all in different areas of the shore, and are all buying our his from pretty much the same 3 shops. we are in areas that are supplied with different sources of water - and apart from disgustipated and i - have never shared fish - and even then it was the fish - not the fish water. Disgustipated and i have purchased hybrids from another member all of whom were one if the first to die.

im not sure how you can suggest that it could be mis-magagment? we are all experienced fish keepers, or tanks are appropriate to bio load, do regular water changes and provide suitable filtration and aeration - and all water quality tests are within normal peramaters.

edited to add to list

iliwis said its taken out 17,

it took out my entire african tank (15ish fish?)

sophias had an entire species taken out too

disgustipated has has 5 or 6 now?? can you count more accurately than me?

and i can't remember off the top of my head numbers for others.

Its a significant amount of fish, and if i was suppling fish as part of a small business i sure as hell would want to know of the possibility of fish TB (as was suggested by sophia)

Mine seems to mostly affect locally bred and raised platies and guppies only, same symptoms as have been listed; scales fallen off (usually one large patch only) then they get skinny, inactive for a 12-48hrs then die. Anything from month old to 6 month old fish, some get it, some don't but those which lose scales will die.

8 including the three africans i had in a hospital tank for you - and all within the last 12 months. i have never had any fish die this way in the 4 years i've been keeping fish prior to this last year.

as for the fish that don't die - TB has carriers which are generally unaffected by the disease, as do many other diseases.

i am stunned at the attitude of some on here for what is quite a scary issue. imagine, if it is actually a new, strange, unidentified disease, and instead of dealing with it, we ignore it... it could spread to every tank in NZ in a matter of a few years.... could even spread to humans....

8 including the three africans i had in a hospital tank for you - and all within the last 12 months. i have never had any fish die this way in the 4 years i've been keeping fish prior to this last year.

as for the fish that don't die - TB has carriers which are generally unaffected by the disease, as do many other diseases.

i am stunned at the attitude of some on here for what is quite a scary issue. imagine, if it is actually a new, strange, unidentified disease, and instead of dealing with it, we ignore it... it could spread to every tank in NZ in a matter of a few years.... could even spread to humans....

i was counting the hospital africans in my count.

whatever it is - there is quite clearly an outbreak of it in auckland/north shore and the source of it needs to be found, stopped from spreading, and identified and people warned of any risks in purchasing their fish.

Ok I'kk jump in on this one as well

I have had at least 4 fish die in the last 5 weeks or so of unknown cause. The fish all should have had years left of their life, 2 have shown what could be missing scales and all 4 got lethargic and breathe heavy before dying within 24-48h.

Never brought a fish from a petstore (have had some from a member on here but none of those fish have died), I'm on different water than you guys...

But I guess that my deaths are linked as they are sort of similar and in the same time frame?

Ok I'kk jump in on this one as well

I have had at least 4 fish die in the last 5 weeks or so of unknown cause. The fish all should have had years left of their life, 2 have shown what could be missing scales and all 4 got lethargic and breathe heavy before dying within 24-48h.

Never brought a fish from a petstore (have had some from a member on here but none of those fish have died), I'm on different water than you guys...

But I guess that my deaths are linked as they are sort of similar and in the same time frame?

was it an auckland based member?

that's a great idea caryl. how would someone go about that? i'm sure it won't be long until i lose my next fish... was keeping the RTS as an example but it got smelly...

shoulda let me cut up falcor.

actually, its probably pretty good you didn't - coulda ended up infecting myself with tb or something.

some wild accusations being thrown around here

I certainly can't comment about individual FNZAS members, since I've never bought a fish from any of them but without being too specific, I have twice bought fish from a particular store either for a brand new tank or one that had been disease free for years and then had subsequent disease outbreaks (white spot), so it wouldn't be unknown for me to experience issues with a given retailer.

we are speculating, not accusing. like when you suggested that this issue could be due to our poor management of fish, for example.

no i merely said there were many other factors that can cause a fish death management was merely one of them

never said it was due to your poor management

are accusations not warranted at some point when there have been 50+ (rough estimate here, could be more) deaths have occurred? where are we able to discuss this further if this topic is not welcome on this forum? how are we supposed to find out what IS happening if we cannot discuss it, and try and find links (which incidentally is all we are doing naming stores and businesses)