treating white spot

superico

hi all,

i have just discovered that my tank is infected with white spot. :cry::cry: :an!gry

i have looked around on the net to see how to treat it and have found that raising the temperature too 30'C and dosing copper would be my best bet.

any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Do you know the cause? It pays to fix that too.

i guess it was one of the fish i got from organism who had i and because mainly the cardinals have it i guess it was them

The temp raising only speeds up the cycle of the whitespot, it does not cure it.

this article suggests otherwise http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/ich.php

The second approach is to actually destroy the organism with heat, and can be combined with the salt treatment below, but not with meds.

I gather you did not quarantine the new fish then?

That was an interesting article and if you are keen to try his method then we would like to know how you get on. Certainly sounds simple and saves buying meds.

I only have 1 tank and am only allowed 1 tank so no I had no chance to quarantine them.

I will post about my progress and hope things will work out.

So salt is safe for apistos?

White spot appears to be a lot more resistant to treatment these days. I have just spent 3 weeks completely eradicating it from my tank, it was not severe, just a few spots on each fish, moving around the fish in the tank.

Whitespot is always present but tends to present when the fish is stressed or not in full health.

It has a 7 day cycle therefore the treatment should be continued for a week after the last spots are visible.

To eradicate my whitespot I used the following - tonic, dosed at one, three and seven days with 25% water changes between, after the first 7 days I waited a day and resumed the treatment again. This I did 3 times. The tank temperature was bumped up to 30 degrees and my lighting period was significantly reduced as the effectiveness of tonic is reduced with lighting.

There is plenty of evidence available on the net that increasing temperature does shorten the cycle of white spot significantly, therefore decreasing the risk of fish death.

I also use the salt method, I recently got some rams and the day after i got them i noticed some white spot so treated with heat and salt with no issues after. I also add a bit of salt to all my tanks every second water change.

also I prefer to keep up treatment for 2 weeks after I see the last spot.

Is that for shop/sales reason's?

please, oh pleas give metric measurements...

anything from 1g/L to 6g/L depending on the fish type and if raising the temp.

Cats etc don't much salt so it is at the lower range for them (at or around what fishguy said) so 1 or 2g/L

Most other fish seem to tolerate upto 3g/L ok

My natives (and other salt tolerant fish) will cope well with 6g/L

If you see salt doses as x ppt this is the same as x g/L

1 cc or mL of fine salt weighs about 1.1g