How to get rid of brown hair algae once and for all?

SamH

Hey guys,

My aquarium has now been set up for just over a month and has been hit with all kinds of algae, most of which originated from a piece of wood I had in the tank. I've since removed the wood, but have been left with brown hair algae on almost all my plants.

My tank is 75x35x35cm(100L) and I'm running 2x T5HO 24w tubes for 6hrs a day.

So far I've increased CO2 to as much as the fish can handle, reduced the photoperiod down to 6hrs and added two wavemakers to increase flow.

What can I do to get rid of this algae? Do I need to do a blackout on the tank? I'll do whatever it takes.

Thanks!

Oto's knocked it back heaps, IMO it more from knocking it around before it got a chance, plus live bacteria solution overdose (I get it for free)

also maybe find some freshwater shrimp (they munch it like there's no tomorrow)

increasing CO2 and decreasing light doesn't sound like a good idea.....

had a similar problem with a Cichlid tank, used Bioballs (Concentrated live bacteria) (love it when testing a new product actually works)

cleaned it up in 1 month, in 2 months the brown stuff covering all flat surfaces had all but disappeared.

now have only one or 2 puffs of BBA every now and then

increasing CO2 and decreasing light doesn't sound like a good idea.....

Every article I've read on the matter says that it thrives in high light conditions with too little CO2. I know my limit, I'm pushing it to the edge but not beyond.

My aquarium has now been set up for just over a month

I'm dosing EI on the safe side, initially the algae was only on the wood nearest the light but soon spread throughout the tank. Ideally I'd run 1 tube and make light the limiting factor but that just isn't possible with this ballast.

So today I found my old water change tube and decided to give siphoning out leaves, algae, dirt, etc from the tank. It turns out this algae is REALLY easily sucked into the tube so I removed a whole heap of it in just a couple of buckets. Sam 1, retarded algae 0.