New Seahorse tank

91 ZERO

A friend and I have just bought a brand new marine aquarium (a wedding gift for my fiance' as she loves seahorses). Anyway it is a 275L Aqua Reef Tank, with all the equip - skimmer / pump / heaters etc.

Straight away we added 30kg of established live rock (which turned out to be the home to a few snails (that were in shells?!) and they seem happy enough haha, added the correct ratio of salt to water (well as close as we could get it!) and has been cycling for the last couple weeks. Salinity is sitting at approx 1.024 and temp at a steady 26deg. It is just starting to show a bit of bacteria which is good - ammonia and nitrites still sitting at 0. - hasn't started to vary yet.

We are looking at putting in:

- 1 or 2 Cardinals or Gobies

- 1 or 2 Fire Shrimp

- 1 Blue Starfish

- 1 pair of Seahorses

- Various soft coral and later on some amenemenenmoies (the only word I can't say :roll: ).

Intend on putting in the Cardinal first, and if that is happy enough will then put in the Shrimp and Starfish, followed lastly by the Seahorses. A local fella down here in Welly has been providing a wealth of information which is nice. Am sticking with the selected fish as apparently they are slow feeders and won't pinch food from the Seahorses!

We have done a ton of research but any tips or advise would be welcome :D

Only have the one (cellphone) pic so far just after we finished filling it up and began the whole cycling process.

Kris

IMG_6387.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

all of my cardinals and gobies are the first to eat and even steal food from my tangs.

pipe fish would be a better choice imo

Oh yes, Pipe fish was mentioned to me as suitable. I was told to stay away from damsels and the like..

yes to both queries

they trail their tails and after a few stings lose feeling then dead horse

you can teach horses to feed from a net or cup

Ah... that would be the last thing I want. I guess I would get angry walking over prickles all day.

If you intend to keep seahorses I would use Seachem Stability all the time - this way you DONT need to wait to 'cycle' the tank and it really helps with keeping the water levels under control. Suitable fish would depend on what species of horse you are going to keep. They are great fun and really rewarding but can cause a few grey hairs, :sml1: I used to bred several species and LOVED keeping them

If you intend to keep seahorses I would use Seachem Stability all the time - this way you DONT need to wait to 'cycle' the tank and it really helps with keeping the water levels under control. Suitable fish would depend on what species of horse you are going to keep. They are great fun and really rewarding but can cause a few grey hairs, :sml1: I used to bred several species and LOVED keeping them

We looked into this albeit a different brand and putting it in this weekend. Is it necessary to KEEP using it though?

I am looking at either;

Tiger Tail

Longsnout

Hedgehog or

Whites

Wonderworld gave me a list of species they have sold and after looking into each one decided on getting a pair of one of the above species. From the sounds of it, they don't order them in for you, they get whatever they can at the time in bulk :-? . Bit pricey too but too late to be worrying about that after the initial set up money we have put into it haha.

I keep using it - at water changes and I put a little in every 4 to 6 weeks, just helps keep things in balance

Did they not have any Kuda? They are a bit more 'forgiving', esp as you havent kept horses before. You could ask someone to import specially for you if you wanted to be sure of what you get, I think there are a couple of importers up north who would do that. I also suggest you try for captive bred rather than wild caught - they are a bit easier to feed etc

Guess what IT WORKS - the ancients ways of doing things arent always the easiest or best.

I cant believe people on this forum - spouting crap about things they have no experience of or have never tried, :an!gry No wonder people are going away from keeping fish etc, given the attitude of alot on here

From now on, Im sticking to the foreign forums!!!

Guess what IT WORKS - the ancients ways of doing things arent always the easiest or best.

I cant believe people on this forum - spouting crap about things they have no experience of or have never tried, :an!gry No wonder people are going away from keeping fish etc, given the attitude of alot on here

From now on, Im sticking to the foreign forums!!!

I think you are just an ignorant person who seems to think your way is the best and only way. So far in all of your 18 posts on this wonderful forum you have claimed a lot but can't seem to back it up. Go back to your foreign forums and tell them your "stories" about all of your "tanks" and your "friend" who imports fish for you but won't for anyone else.

I appreciate the help from everyone so far and I understand people have different experiences regarding what they found best to do.

If it means taking a bit longer to cycle "the long way" - I will do that, it was just mentioned to me to try the water cycler additive as it apparently causes no harm. However I am in no hurry as I am wanting to do this once, and do it right with minimal or no horse loss (if at all possible).

What species of captive breed Seahorses would be recommended for a newbie at this, if the four types I mentioned in my post above will not be suitable? Or will they actually be suitable?

hrmmm someone can't understand that every one has their own opinion, imo I think the live bacteria solutions work well, but adding it after every water change once every thing is in balance is a bit of a waste of $$$, but I like to keep some handy just in case of mini cycles.

I would think the breed of seahorse would be less important than what is actually available in NZ at the moment, if it were me I would see what types I can actually get then plan around them since they are going to be the main attraction of this tank.

Keep up the good work dude and keep us posted :thup:

hrmmm someone can't understand that every one has their own opinion, imo I think the live bacteria solutions work well, but adding it after every water change once every thing is in balance is a bit of a waste of $$$, but I like to keep some handy just in case of mini cycles.

I would think adding chemical would be less then satisfactory then just getting the tank stabilized naturally, just like nature. If you don't need it don't use it is my motto.

Also the livestock themselves would probably benefit more from the non use of chemicals as they are not naturally exposed to these type of chemicals in nature where most marine livestock are from, not captive bred like FW tropicals.

I would think the breed of seahorse would be less important than what is actually available in NZ at the moment, if it were me I would see what types I can actually get then plan around them since they are going to be the main attraction of this tank.

Keep up the good work dude and keep us posted :thup:

Hmm very true!! Well have emailed Wonderworld asking when they anticipate when they have more due in and what species, and will just go from there I guess!

In the meantime will just keep cycling and perhaps just get a fire or cleaner shrimp and maybe a cardinal or similar in the meantime

Cheers! Will post up more updates this weekend :)

isn't stability just a live bacteria???

harmless except in majorly excessive concentrations.

other than TLC products I only use wondertonic for treatment and a bit of salt (plus water conditioner in my home tanks)

its really just a shortcut for the impatient among us :P

nature does it best anyways

i breed our local horses occasionally but i'm reluctant to let them go to anything less than a fully cycled tank

i have used off the shelf marine start up products and found them good when fresh

but can achieve the same result with a new tank and regular water changes

always used NSW, 25+ yrs

the important thing is to ask when purchasing them to see them feeding on frozen foods etc

as it can be hard to change them off live foods