October 11, 201213 yr comment_502075 Last night when the lights were off in my tank, I used the camera flash light on my phone to illuminate the aquarium. I noticed this created a rippling 'halide' effect and all sorts of cool shadows. So I was wondering, what would I need to recreate this without using my phone? Really I want a unit I can plug into my multiboard and move the single, bright white LED to different places around the tank to create this effect. Thanks! Report
October 11, 201213 yr comment_502082 You can buy any cheap LED light from TM perhaps. dont go TOO bright, it disturbs fish if too bright. but i had a moonlight, ust got a 12w energy saving bulb that kinda glows orangy in colour. I can tell you, its awesome to see the behaviour of some nocturnal fish! Report
October 11, 201213 yr comment_502089 Any kind of LED will give you the 'shimmer effect' (I love doing that with my phones torch too!) so you could either browse trademe for a cheap spotlight type thing, or build yourself a simple unit. I'm planning on using LEDs to light my next big tank and will certainly have a 'moonlight' option with just a couple of dim LEDs spreading out from one point over the tank. Something like this *click*, just without the rays and G. winemilleri Report
October 11, 201213 yr Author comment_502091 That is super cool! Do you know if the LED bulbs they sell to replace standard halogens would give that effect or does it have to be just a single LED? I'm also looking at mounting a 1ft warm white T5 bulb I have just below the tank to give the 'sunset' effect. Report
October 11, 201213 yr comment_502106 Thanks Sam, I just had a play around with the torchlight on my phone and it looks amazing, I am gonna have to do something similar now. Report
October 11, 201213 yr comment_502116 how big is the tank? and How bright did you want the 'moonlight' to be? Any light souce that comes from a point, ie. hologen bulb or LED will produce a ripple effect. I just made this quick video for you. i grabbed a 7W led i have from one of my small tanks and put it over my 200L tank, http://youtu.be/NR1952bLtIA Its one of these: http://dx.com/p/10w-750lm-6500k-high-po ... 76?item=70 Report
October 11, 201213 yr comment_502119 For my moonlight on my marine tank I soldered up a handful of blue leds to a wall wart. Way less than 12 watts, if I remember right they were more like .1 watts total. Much more I think would have been too bright. But, easiest I'd suggest is have a look through the night lights section at The Warehouse or whatever. That plus a cheap extension cord to run to your power strip should do it. Report
October 11, 201213 yr Author comment_502128 Would something like this suffice? Or this says it screws into a standard screw in fitting? Report
October 12, 201213 yr comment_502135 I personally prefer LED without a reflector for a moonlight effect, otherwise it gives a very tight, bright beam. 3Watts is not that much light (sure i know thats the point haha). I know for sure the one i linked to can also be dimmed with something like this It's all 12V stuff so you cant really muck it up, and its safe too. Report
October 12, 201213 yr comment_502151 I reckon the first one could work, would depend on the colour and the "look" you're trying to achieve. Report
October 12, 201213 yr comment_502253 both of them would be way too bright for use as a moonlight i would use something like this in cool white 1w or less http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-SMD-LED-Lamp- ... 3cc928c266 Report
October 12, 201213 yr Author comment_502257 Basically I want something I can plug in and use safely, my knowledge of electricity and wiring is limited to positive, negative and earth. Ideally something that fits in an E27. Report
October 12, 201213 yr comment_502289 my knowledge of electricity and wiring is limited to positive, negative and earth. Well, for AC you've already got that wrong... Like I said above. Stick it somewhere above your tank. DONE. Report
October 12, 201213 yr comment_502294 That would be too defuse to create that 'rippling' that Sam wanted in the first post. I think that the second LED light could work well as it has a built in dimmer, a bit of money for a test though. Report
October 12, 201213 yr comment_502302 That would be too defuse to create that 'rippling' that Sam wanted in the first post. Take a pair of vice grips, hammer, pliers, etc AND BREAK THE DIFFUSER OFF. I think those ones it's just a bare LED under it. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.