Sunday yesterday on ONE (Gecko poacher)

aotealotl

it did just disgust me what I saw yesterday on ONE, there was even a swiss idiot involved (beside all the german germs) in the poaching and smuggling. up to NZ $10'000 for a Jewelled Gecko on the european market. :an!gry

beside increasing the fines and jail time for a poacher it should be possible for the people of NZ to have the right to go and slap those poachers into the face twice in public. public humiliation would help to keep those poachers away...

slap not much good?what about a punch or two?

Without condoning it in any way shape or form,at least the geckos will be well looked after and a captive bred population should eventuate,much like beardys,bluetongues and leopards here?Apart from the likely hood of in breeding and genetic weakness this has to be a good thing if in years to come we need to repopulate areas?I wonder what percentage of our exotic reptiles came to be here by similar means?

• 2 weeks later...
slap not much good?what about a punch or two?

Without condoning it in any way shape or form,at least the geckos will be well looked after and a captive bred population should eventuate,much like beardys,bluetongues and leopards here?Apart from the likely hood of in breeding and genetic weakness this has to be a good thing if in years to come we need to repopulate areas?I wonder what percentage of our exotic reptiles came to be here by similar means?

It doesn't work like that. Once the lizards are overseas, they can never be returned to NZ, let alone the wild. The cost of screening for all the diseases they could pick up overseas would be prohibitively expensive and they can't be sure they have screened for every disease the species may have come in contact with. The main reason importing reptiles to NZ is so heavily restricted is the risk of bringing in novel diseases which could rapidly infect our wild populations. Poachers are essentially killing the species they claim to love.

Most NZ species now have sustainable captive populations (although inbreeding and outbreeding is a major problem) within NZ, so we really don't need fools claiming they are doing us a favour by poaching.