I had an accident with yeast.... help? suggestions?

Aaron-Betta

Hi all,

While i was 'yeasting' my microworm cultures, I accidentally knocked the "bread maker yeast" over and spilt about 1/4 of a 120g container in a 27L tank. In a rush and worried, I fished out most of the fish and put them in a bucket, drained about 80% of the tank water and refilled 50% from another tank and 30% new water. I haven't put the fish back in the tank as yet, but there is still my harahara cat and a dwarf rasbora in there. I have the filter and an airstone in there still, trying to filter it out and clear the water.

Have I done all I could to save the tank, fish and filter? or am I looking at the tank crashing over the next few days? Is there anything else I can do to help the situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Other then stripping the tank completely down I don't see you being able to do much else, I'm not sure if the yeast will react with anything in your tank anyway as you won't have any sugar in it. It won't kill your fish you might just have a bacterial bloom for the next while, just keep doing big water changes - 50-75% daily and you should be fine.

Keep a very close eye on the pH as when the yeast metabolise's the sugars it will create a pH drop. Otherwise just do a couple of water changes over the next copuple of day to get most of it out and it will be fine. Brewers yeast is in alot of different fish food