September 30, 201214 yr comment_499777 I note there are a few historical threads about BBA. Not alot about issues that were resolved though. I have BBA, getting worse. Nitrates at 0ppm. Has anyone had success in getting rid of this manky stuff by adding Flourish? I don't overfeed, clear fish waste twice per week so perhaps the phosphates are in my tap water? It's bore water so who knows what's in that stuff. Any advice would be appreciated as the plants ain't looking so hot! Report
September 30, 201214 yr comment_499780 how are your nitrates at 0ppm???? even with 2 x weekly water changes and a heavily planted tank a 0 reading would be hard to achieve unless you have a ery understocked tank. (someone here is bound to contradict this though) and yes Flourish EXCEL works wonders on BBA, many threads here on how it works, I think most were resolved (hence the end of the discussion), best way imo is to squirt it directly on it with a syringe. nice and simple page http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/removing-hair-algae.php Report
September 30, 201214 yr Author comment_499781 Perhaps I wasn't searching with the correct keywords. I know it's annoying when people start duplicate threads. Test kit showed it went up to 5ppm about 3 weeks in, then dropped back to zero. Been like that since. That's on the no2 and no3 tests. 215ltrs, 4 dwarf gourami, 6 c/loach, 4 ghost cats and a bristle nose. I've been waiting for the level to increase but so far it hasn't. Although it's only 6 weeks old. Something is out of whack though, brown algae and now this horrid thing. Seriously, my tank has more black curlies that the pits on my overweight aunt. I'll pick up some flourish tomorrow. Some threads on other forums suggest a mild bleach treatment. No way lol!! Report
September 30, 201214 yr Author comment_499783 I note though that the ammonia spiked at the same time the nitrates rose, increased water changes and they both dropped to zero. Report
September 30, 201214 yr comment_499802 make sure its flourish excel and yes works a treat ,it doesn't actually say it treats bba on the bottle but it sure does :thup: Report
September 30, 201214 yr Author comment_499803 Great. Thanks once again all for the advice. I'll try it and let you know. Shall also do a better search on other threads lol Report
October 1, 201214 yr comment_499937 just be cautious if you have any vals because they will melt... Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500075 I just double dosed my tank with flourish but had very little success with it. It got rid of a little bit of what i think is bba in my tank , but def didnt work the way i hoped. I syringed it onto as much as i could and put the rest in the water column. Left it for 7 days but it never turned red and died off. I think i will have to live with it as flourish seemrd to be the most successful treatment i could find. Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500163 I just double dosed my tank with flourish but had very little success with it. It got rid of a little bit of what i think is bba in my tank , but def didnt work the way i hoped. I syringed it onto as much as i could and put the rest in the water column. Left it for 7 days but it never turned red and died off. I think i will have to live with it as flourish seemrd to be the most successful treatment i could find. Are you sure the one you have is BBA and not a type of string algae? Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500192 I thought it was def bba, but after tryin flourish with little success its back to the drawing board Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500193 nudge, did you turn your filter and airstone off after you dosed excel for a few hours? Also I have heard that some people have no luck using excel on BBA so it could still be BBA. Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500213 no i actually cranked the airstone up, my azureus was lying on the bottom of the tank gasping for breath 5 mins after i dosed, i think the double dose soaked up the oxygen in the water. I left the filters off for 15-20mins i guess. Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500218 I have also read that if you are dosing excel to kill algae in a non planted aquarium you should dilute it. Not sure why but that is what it said :dunno: Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500240 and yes Flourish EXCEL works wonders on BBA, many threads here on how it works, I think most were resolved (hence the end of the discussion), best way imo is to squirt it directly on it with a syringe. I hope you're all doing it like this, not just pouring it into the tank. If you are then give it a couple of days to die. Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500246 how are your nitrates at 0ppm???? even with 2 x weekly water changes and a heavily planted tank a 0 reading would be hard to achieve unless you have a ery understocked tank. (someone here is bound to contradict this though) and yes Flourish EXCEL works wonders on BBA, many threads here on how it works, I think most were resolved (hence the end of the discussion), best way imo is to squirt it directly on it with a syringe. nice and simple page http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/removing-hair-algae.php You tell me, it was in the article you supplied :slfg: Report
October 2, 201214 yr comment_500304 no it didn't it said "Diluted amounts" i.e. use less in a fish only tank Report
October 3, 201214 yr Author comment_500489 I've applied a full dose the whole tank. It was on every plant so the syringe was not really an option. Shall see if any impact is made, and if not, I'll start with the syringe process on larger water changes. Report
October 4, 201214 yr comment_500573 After doin a large wc on mon i have noticed that the bba is slowly disappearing still. I have a few bits here and there but no where near as bad as before. Its not going red and dying off just disappearing Report
October 4, 201214 yr comment_500575 Mine didn't turn red after dosing with excel, it just disappeared after a few weeks, I did have some BBA in a smaller tank that I wasn't worried about and that turned red after doing a 75% water change. not too sure why. Report
October 4, 201214 yr Author comment_500583 Mine is looking a tiny bit paler, no red. It's more stringy and I've noticed bits are "falling off" So, something is happening. Knowing my luck, it's probably getting worse :sml1: I'll see what happens. Report
October 6, 201214 yr Author comment_501063 It's working. Smaller parts have disappeared and the main area is turning red Report
October 7, 201214 yr Author comment_501146 WEIRD!!! Tested before I used excel, ph7.6, ammonia, No2 and No3 all at zero. Used excel, no other changes Noticed a gourami is very slow and not eating tonight. PH is at 8.5, Ammonia is at 1.0ppm, N02 is at 2.0ppm and No3 is at 20! Obviously water change has been done but what on earth has happened!!! Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.